In EMS, can obese ever be professional?

BEorP

Quick clarification, are you talking about morbidly obese (public perception of the term obese) or people who have a bit of extra weight that pushes them into the medical definition of obese?

I was referring to medical definition of obese.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considered by medical means "obese" and I would like to see a doctor do my job all day. I am on my feet all day long, I work as a CNA so I am lifting, turning, moving, running, pushing, pulling, all day. I have had 300 lb doctors tell me I need to lose 70 lbs and I laugh. I don't have high cholestrol or blood pressure. I work out everyday on top of work. I have lifted weights since I was in highschool hence a large part of my lower bodies weight is not fat, but muscle. I don't drink, don't smoke and am as healthy as a horse. You shouldn't be judging by outward appearance. I work a lot of very thin, smokers, who by all means are very unhealthy. So don't judge a book by it's cover.

Thanks for the post. One thing I just wanted to say is that I hope it does not seem as though I am saying that I am judging anyone. When I speak of appearing unprofessional, I mean to the average person from the public.

I was referring to medical definition of obese.

No problem. A person does not have to be huge, or neccessarily out of shape, to reach a BMI of 30 (medical definition of obese). There, no I don't think that obesity is necessarily a disqualifer of appearing professional.

Yup, I'm fat. Plain & simple. And I've been discriminated because of it. I ws 153 lbs. @ age 12 the first time my mother sent me to Weight Watchers because of my weight, so I've never been slim!

And some people now-a-days simply think because I'm fat, they can treat me like dirt under their feet.

And I'm getting tired of it.

I shower daily, use deoderant, wear a freshly-pressed & clean uniform to work everyday, and everything is tucked into where it should be. And I shine my boots! But yet, some people feel like they can STILL treat me like dirt!

I treat everyone with respect, so I can't figure out for the life of me, why they wouldn't treat me the same way. Is it simply because I'm FAT???? Has that what today's society become??

We as humans come in all shapes and sizes, and I know several obese medics that do the job just fine. I don't think that being obese makes you seem less professional, but things like a sloppy appearance and not knowing your job as an EMT or Paramedic do. Lets not focus on picking on somebody for weight issues, and continue to work on being recognized as a part of the public health community.

Given that EMS providers are a typically a reflection of the areas they serve, that is probably not as much of an issue. Everybody judges people by appearance, the difference is whether or not you hold on to that first impression. What's the first thing you think when you see an overweight cop? Probably either a joke about Dunkin' Donuts or a judgement that "He/She must not catch too many criminals on foot." Being a provider to the public puts EMS in the position of being judged by a first impression. If you are a competent and caring provider, it won't matter after about 2 minutes of care.

Dwayne hit the nail on the head. This isn't a health debate. This is a discussion of image, I believe. First impressions. The kind that last, regardless of accuracy. Like it or not, this is human nature, and all our whining cannot change that. You can, however, change yourself, if it bothers you enough, and you summon up the commitment to do something about it.

One of the best partners I ever worked with -- for nearly twenty years -- was 5'9" and always hovered around 300. I think 235 is the lightest I ever saw him at, and that was by going on a liquid diet for months, then, of course, going right back up to 315 once he was satisfied with his weight loss. He never smoked, drank, had hypertension or any other problems. Until the end. He was my best friend ever. And I watched him die from adult onset diabetes, hypertension, MIs and strokes over the last two years of his life before he was 50.

Two points: One, the health you enjoy today is but a passing phase. Obesity WILL take a toll on your body, and it WILL eventually break down. It might be slow and insidious. It might just suddenly kick your arse and kill you overnight with no warning. But don't be so stupid as to fool yourself into believing that this is not a problem because your BP checks out okay the rare times you have checked it.

Two, my friend was a consummate professional in every sense, including his appearance. His uniform looked so good on him, that you never even realised how heavy he really was. He knew how to wear a uniform correctly. He didn't try to kid himself into believing that his waist was 6 inches smaller than it really was by strangling his hips and letting his fat lop over his belt (the most common mistake I see, especially in obese males). He never put on a uniform that had not been freshly pressed. He kept his shoes shined by hand. He got his hair cut every two weeks. He got his teeth cleaned three times a year. He didn't have tattoos or fadish facial hair. He didn't wear a plumber's pouch full of wanker tools on his belt. And he absolutely knew his shit. This was the guy that everybody wanted to work with because there was never an easier to get along with partner hired in the State of Texas.

Was he a professional? You bet your arse he was. Did anybody who knew him think otherwise? Nope. But did the general public make a superficial judgement of his professionalism at first sight? Sure they did. That's how it is. Nobody said life was fair, so get over it. He did.

In three decades, I've seen a lot of complaints come in to agencies from the public. You'd be surprised how many people will actually call in upset by the unprofessional look of employees. I know I was. But never once did I ever hear a complaint about my friend. So yes, you can be obese and professional too. But, if I were obese (knock wood), I would certainly never do what some seem to do, which is to tell themselves, "Well, I'm a damn good medic, so who cares if I'm fat!" YOU should care, whether anybody else does or not.

Yup, I'm fat. Plain & simple. And I've been discriminated because of it. I ws 153 lbs. @ age 12 the first time my mother sent me to Weight Watchers because of my weight, so I've never been slim!

And some people now-a-days simply think because I'm fat, they can treat me like dirt under their feet.

I mean this in the kindest sense Connie. This should be a temporary condition. Your weight may convince some shallow people that you are unworthy of respect, but if that thinking remains after the first 30 seconds of knowing you, then your personality is part of the problem.

We teach people how to treat us. If you are consistently treated poorly than I think you've come to believe it's because of your weight, but ultimately you will find the answer in your behavior.

And I'm getting tired of it.

Good. Finish getting tired of it, and then stay tired of it. Getting sick of it will be the first step in figuring out how you allow, or perhaps more likely, encourage it.

I shower daily, use deoderant, wear a freshly-pressed & clean uniform to work everyday, and everything is tucked into where it should be. And I shine my boots! But yet, some people feel like they can STILL treat me like dirt!

You are doing what you believe SHOULD earn you their respect, but it doesn't appear to be doing so. You need to take a hard look at yourself, or perhaps look through the eyes of someone you respect and trust, and figure out what's missing.

I treat everyone with respect, so I can't figure out for the life of me, why they wouldn't treat me the same way.

There is no good reason why, but I think you'll find there is a logical reason why.

Is it simply because I'm FAT????

I believe you'll come to find that it has little or nothing to do with your weight. Something else is going on here, but as long as you convince yourself that you're being treated unfairly because of your weight, you'll never find it.

Try spending some time assuming that your weight has nothing to do with the way you're treated and I believe you find some other things you might want to change.

Be strong girl...You need to get to a place where you truly feel that you deserve to be treated better to work this out...I have faith in you.

Dwayne

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It really demonstrates the professionalism of our members that we are able to have a discussion on a sensitive issue such as this one without the thread going downhill.

Like it or lump it being obese is going to affect the publics perception of you as a professional. It might not be fair but anyone who thinks life is fair has lost touch with reality.

I love what I do and part of ensuring I have a long career is taking care of my body. Even that won't guarantee a career without injury but my chances will be a heck of a lot better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.