EMS PAY

Jyannotti308

After being there five years, there were me and two others the highest paid $5.50/hr. But that was in 1989 also.

Ya looks like min wage was around $3.39 in '89, so you were paid about 2 dollars more/hr.

Pretty sad.

A house in Alberta is gonna run around $200,000 for a family sized decent home. Rent will be around $800-$1000/month.

So ya the $20/hr does not go far but you can make a living on it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to make money in EMS as a single role medic...... get out of the field there is no money in it. The only way you make money is if your a Firefighter/Medic on a good department. I worked for two years before I realized that this is the ultimate dead end job and got into nursing school at least they get paid.

Usually, your best bet is to get out of EMS until you finish medic school. Is there a particular reason why you are unable to consider other lines of work temporarily? Try the hospitals. ER tech jobs usually pay a bit more, and have more school-friendly schedules too. Night stockers at the grocery stores around Texas pay twice as much as any EMT-B, and night shifts are ideal for students.

Think outside the box. You are the one limiting yourself.

I fully agree with this advice Dust. I had to leave EMS while in medic school and commend anyone that can make it thru and stay on the truck, but I just could not.

If you want to make money in EMS as a single role medic...... get out of the field there is no money in it. The only way you make money is if your a Firefighter/Medic on a good department. I worked for two years before I realized that this is the ultimate dead end job and got into nursing school at least they get paid.

another person here saying you can't get good money unless you are a fireman and a medic.

I know of at least two if not more places in the Kansas city area(within 60 miles) that pay upwards of 50K for a medic and you do not have to be a firemedic to make that.

Blanket statements are just that, blankets.

In west Texas some services are paying Paramedics $18/hr paid all 24 or 48. You get benefits and overtime. This pay is for EMS only and is actually higher than many fire/ems in the area get.

I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't see that. She'll have our bags packed bofore the page is done loading. :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.