emt pants PLEASE HELP

fireman0928

I've found in my travels and experiences that the main reason people prefer the 'ems pants' or "BDU's", is because the wearer likes that 'paramilitary look' from 'blousing your boots'.
I agree, It just screams uber wacker!

I've worked for companies that require the 'uniform pants', and I too, prefer that look over the 'paramilitary' look.
I too like the look of the uniform style pants as opposed to the BDUs. Unfortunately, the powers that be disagree. We are issued the BDUs with 6 pockets. I carry a field guide in one and my wallet in the other. Hardly practical, but I digress. :roll:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another plus for BDU's is ease of putting them on and off in the middle of the night. Also, they're usually a bit rougher for kneeling down and such. The pockets help for stuff like company Nextel/radio, shears, keys, mini-light. I just don't like wearing stuff on the belt. But I guess I manage pretty well with dress uniform pants (what we currently wear).

I don't understand the whole dress pants rule. I do understand that dress pants look nicer then ems pants but at the same time they are much more impractacle. I guess what i would say to my suppervisor or whoever made that stupid rule is: ems pants protect from blood and other contaminents leaking through to the skin and they are stronger. Not to mention they have pockets for your pens, scissors and gloves ect...i would also find out why the rule is in place. If they want dress pants to be worn for the neat look or beacause not everyone was wearing ems pants then maybe they would be willing to have a "test run" with ems pants instead of dress pants. My final advice is to talk to the person in charge and not to the other members of the squade. if you don't go right to the top you will never get the truth.

You all know, police wear straight legged pants all the time right? And they probably see alot more rough and tumble then our pants do.

If you insist on having gloves with you, they make glove holders to go on your belt, same with the shears.

Does your company pay for the pants? If so whats the huge set back here?

...ems pants protect from blood and other contaminants(corrected) leaking through to the skin

No they don't protect from blood..they leak as much as any. Some are treated with a

barrier, but this makes them chafe and wears off quickly. Some are thicker, yes..Blood or liquid proof, not a chance..

Not a lot of difference between the first two here..other rhan the whacker pockets.. :roll:

Slacks and EMS or these

More pants or these

Station pants

The old adage; "you can tell how new to EMS a person is by the number of tools on their belt, or pockets in their pants", holds true and is sad. There is not many situations when you need flashlights, five sizes of shears, hemostats, tape, multi-tool, window punch, EMS how to guides (which I am against carrying on your person), glove holders, multiple radios, and the such. Most should be in your jump bag and will be with you anyhow..right?

I have been tin the field for a long time..rural and urban...and I still have not seen the purpose of the "EMS" pant other than image. Not a great image to portray, at that. :P

...but at the same time they are much more impractical.

"Impractical" is all those pockets and no use for them..They look sloppy and are generally useless. The more yo put in them, the worse they look..

IMHO

(Note: The pronoun "You" is being used as a general term and should not be taken to be "anyone" in particular" .

Here's the bottom line. If you MUST have all the 'gadgets' to fill the cargo pockets on the BDU pants, and not enough pockets to fill on the regular uniform pants....may I suggest a 'bat belt'. A Sam Browne belt looks more professional, and after undoing a few 'keepers', the belt is removable, and all that extra weight is off the joints in the legs.

Rather than looking like a porcupine turned inside out with all the stuff sticking out of the pockets, (pens, kelly forceps, shears, Lister scissors, etc), a nice leather (or cordura) EMS holster keeps everything in a nice, neat and professional looking ORGANIZED location.

Glove pouches are a nice touch to keep that bulging pocket full of gloves at a minimum, that way there's room for something like a spelling book!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.