BLS and Glucometers

brentoli

Should BLS ptoviders be equipped with a glucometer  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Ok Dust, then instead of giving them another tool, I propose 2 solutions. Either give them a glucometer or take away their oral glucose. You shouldn't have one without the other. Point being, if Basic school is the bane of all EMS (don't flame me, I don't believe that) then why not give it to them a little at a time? Or, if you don't believe they should be advanced enough to carry glucose (in this situation it IS a medication) then take it away from them. You're the guru. Make it happen.

Brat :angel8:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assessment == skills

Assessment == tools

Assessment = knowledge and understanding

Why give Basics a tool if that tool doesn't substantially change their treatment? Hypoglycemia or stroke would still mean immediate transport for a BLS crew. Why wait around on scene for a finger stick?

Then why give them glucose? If they can't take a sugar, it's just taking up space in the bag.

You can teach a child to take a sugar and treat the result...just a thought.

btw: I"m not disagreeing with the rapid transport...you DO NOT wait around...you get in and get out. No screwing around on scene.

That's why you don't put children on ambulances. I'm saying, if a child can be trained to take and treat his parent's sugar, why is it a big deal for an EMT? You can't' tell me a 6 year old understands the patho behind hypoglycemia.

That's why you don't put children on ambulances. I'm saying, if a child can be trained to take and treat his parent's sugar, why is it a big deal for an EMT? You can't' tell me a 6 year old understands the patho behind hypoglycemia.

You can't tell me that most Basics understand the patho behind hypoglycemia, though, either. It certainly isn't taught in class nor required in a prereq class.

No, that is my point. We expect so many other things of the EMT's, including for them to treat hypoglycemia without a glucometer. Give them the tool! I don't understand why it's a big deal....everyone is bugging about more education. So educate, or strip down to the base level...I cannot believe that anywhere (although I know it happens) carries oral glucose and yet no tool to determine whether or not the sugar is needed. Nifty mentioned a hemorragic stroke. Ischemic strokes also present with high sugar, and are not always as easy to spot as a bleed. Having sugar without having a glucometer is like having adenosine without having a monitor (a little more drastic, I know). How can you treat a symptom you "THINK" the patient might be suffering from????