Oxygen Tank Prefixes

medicv83

I need to find out in a giant, huge, super, big way why oxygen tanks are labeled with the prefix of a single letter such as D, E, M, H......What is the significance of the nomenclature for the o2 tanks. Any help will be appppppppreciated, thanks.

It accounts for the size of the cylinder. Of course every one holds more or less, accounting for type of construction. e.g. Steel, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber. Really can't say any more than that, I usually don't pay attention. We use both D & Jumbo D, easy to carry, store, etc.

cylindrs.jpg

Aerox_Cylinders.jpg

oxygendoohickey.jpg

It's my understanding that it's a universal code designated for that size of bottle.

Awesome, I think that answered generally what I was looking for. I figured it correlated to sizes. Just didnt know why the jump between letters I guess.

Awesome, I think that answered generally what I was looking for. I figured it correlated to sizes. Just didnt know why the jump between letters I guess.

LOL! Not a particularly important question, but certainly one that I have wondered about myself in the past.

I notice there is no pic of the Jumbo D in those illustrations. It is the height of a D, but a little less the diameter of an M. That's probably the best bang for the buck, as far as capacity and light weight/easy carry.

You guys are lucky you missed the days where two steel E-cylinders on a steel yoke was the standard carry for crews!

Firstly you are so old dust ... was that before the invention of the wheel ? :twisted:

I cant wait to see the day when a "C" tank can safely take 4000 psi, wouldsure be easier to pack about.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

actually, the second color photo has an illustration of a Jumbo "D" cyllinder. It is mislabeled as an "M" cylinder. A jumbo D holds the same quantity as an E cylinder but is less cumbersome to store or carry.

Some cylinders are also referred to by numbers referring to the quantity in cubic feet that each will store. Some folks tend to use these interchangeably referring to a cylinder as a 108, 122, etc. The "G" cylinder also has a close cousin called an ""H". Depending upon the specific oxygen supplier, you may find a mix of cylinder sizes they supply to various clients that may have slightly different dimensions (diameter, length) that hold approximately the same usable amount of compressed gas.

As for high pressure cylinders, there are various breathing apparatus that have 3000 or 4500 PSI ratings. I believe there were some small oxygen cylinders developed decades ago for closed-circuit SCBA that were typically used in mine rescue, high-rise, tunnels, etc. where they were rated anywhere from 1-4 hour duration. The oxygen was added to the exhaled breath of the wearer after it was "scrubbed" of carbon dioxide by replaceable filters.

Most oxygen suppliers do not have refilling equipment to refill cylinders to higher pressures so you normally don't see many higher pressure cylinders offered for sale. Some firms do have a high pressure "booster" pump to service some of the long-duration SCBA but they also charge a lot more per cylinder when they are refilled.

Wow!

There is no mention of the MT cylinder.

I always ask my students about this one, they never seem to have heard of it either but little do they realize, they will encounter this cylinder many times during their career.

If you don't understand, say MT out loud, fast.

Well, you have me there. I have never of a size designation of "MT" and I have been in EMS since 1970. However, I am familiar with the term "MT" which is used to mark any cylinder which has been totally depressurized (open to the atmosphere eiher intentially or by accident.) This marking means that it must be subjected to a vacuum test to "purge" the cylinder of any atmospheric contents/contaminants before it is refilled with the appropriate pressurized gas. Cylinders that are to be destroyed for whatever reason will have similiar markings applied.

I believe there are also additional procedures performed for any cylinder that must hold "medical grade" gases.

Wow!

There is no mention of the MT cylinder.

I always ask my students about this one, they never seem to have heard of it either but little do they realize, they will encounter this cylinder many times during their career.

In Kanukistan we have the EH cylinder sorry don't have the conversion for you, it is in centigrate I believe .

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.