Older Students

firedoc5

My first post... and I'm about to say that I am going to start my EMT-B course at the age of 35. I do have kids - all at home still - and two are handicapped and have had many horrible things happen and done to them, but I still want to help. I have seen many things I wish I hadn't working in a city hospital's OR as an orderly, but I still want to help. I own a business during the day (a yarn shop, of all things not related to EMS!), but I still want to help. I am going into this knowing that the class before me had two kids in it that were under 18, and the 4 others were all under 21, but I still want to help.

I hope there are exceptions to the rule...

Shoot, you're not a complete exception here...many of us started older, and with the support of those here at the City, find that we're thriving, excelling, and are right where we belong.

Jump in, don't be shy, ask questions, give advice, stay focused, learn...teach.

You'll see...it'll all work out.

Welcome.

Dwayne

...but I still want to help. I am going into this knowing that the class before me had two kids in it that were under 18, and the 4 others were all under 21, but I still want to help.

Your age is definitely not a problem. Thirty-five is nothing. Maturity is always an asset.

But your motivations may be a problem. What do you mean about wanting to help? Help whom, and how? Generally, those who "just want to help? are not the best candidates for EMS success.

But your motivations may be a problem. What do you mean about wanting to help? Help whom, and how? Generally, those who "just want to help? are not the best candidates for EMS success.

Good question :D

I was on track to be a Surgical Tech, but we then bought a house 3 hours away from the closest school site. My husband was a Lead Medic in Alaska (Chena-Goldstream, if anyone knows the area) for 4 years, and we connected through the medical knowledge yearning parts of our personality (that's a really long way of saying "we both wanted to do more with our lives in the medical field")

I think the "want to help" part is just that - I want to be able to help those I can. I've spent years around Fire and Rescue crews, and most of the locals here are friends and neighbors. They are good people, hard working, fair, and I can only hope to keep up with them.

A big part of this is personal greed... I want to be able to help those who can not help themselves (part of being a mom to special needs kids, I'm sure). I have even thought, seriously, of going on for the Pediatrics speciality courses. No, it's not to have a chance to save someone, and yes, I know that the chances are slim of having a "happy pediatric" call, but there are not many around here who can handle pediatric calls. Can I? I don't know. I have seen many things in the OR that were bad. I know things will be worse as an EMT.

All I can do is everything possible to help whoever needs help.

I don't know if I am likely EMT material. I know I'm not perfect :) But I do know that I have spent 3 years deciding this, and I hope that I'm ready.

I moved to the US at the "tender" age of 33, some 7 years ago. Basically I knew two things when I arrived here. 1) I could achieve almost any qualification I was willing to work for, and 2) I had to start at the bottom of the ladder. I wanted to go into either nursing or EMS when I lived in the UK, so basically I continued down that route.

It is still work in progress, and I have spent most of the time balancing work, university, and home life, while the immigration paperwork was being dealt with over a time frame which would be best described in geological terms. However, as it stands, I have almost completed both of the basic qualifications I set out to get, so mustn't grumble.

I hope to cease being a student if and when I get my NP (although the learning never ends) by which time I hope to still have control of my bladder and bowel. Can't make any promises though :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not entirely a bored housewife, but in some ways I am - I've been home for the past 8 years. My youngest will be in Kindergarten this coming fall. Having the kids all in school is only a small part of me going back to school for medic.

Anyways, here I am. 32 y/o and I'll be back in college in another month. I decided to take some of the general classes this summer, get them out of the way. This fall I'll begin the AAS paramedic program.

Dagny - you mentioned having a yarn store. Do you knit then? I've recently learned to knit, and I'm enjoying it.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be 38 next month and I recently decided, after almost 20 years of working in broadcasting, that I wanted to be involved in EMS again.

Right now I'm back in school full time working on my AA and taking the prerequisites for the paramedic program in Tacoma, and I'll take EMT-B in October.

I plan to work for an ambulance service here doing whatever I can, transfers, 911 calls...whatever, to get patient contact experience before I apply to the medic program

My eventual plan is to work in the field for a while as a medic then hopefully become an instructor.

I've always loved the education part of EMS. I became a basic back in '88 and didn't take the education as seriously as I should have. Now that I've got some perspective and life experience under my belt, I feel I'm mature and focused enough to become a paramedic.

Here it goes again!

There must be 100 threads on this site that deal with age in EMS, and what is better! A thousand things have been said, most of them appropriate, but the bottom line is that if you are physically capable, mentally prepared for what you'll deal with, and mature enough to treat it as a career, not a hobby or a religion, you will probably do well at it.

There are 18 year olds who are incredibly mature and professional; there are 50 year olds who deserve to be thrown onto a 73 Ford 4x4 pickup with lightbars and EMS stickers and sent to NosePick, Georgia.

Finding the correct mixture of enthusiasm, intelligence, and life-experience for ANY high pressure job is difficult. Coming into EMS late has its challenges, but it is not likely to be the result of a drunken boast or a need to save the world. It is a job, with massive challenges and huge rewards, but it is not like becoming an astronaut or a nuclear physicist.

If it feels right, give it a try!

edit - post #500!

Here it goes again!

edit - post #500!

CONGRADULATIONS on the 500th Birthday North!

I am sooo hoping your not in your birthday suit as you post .... :shock:

ps I googled Nosepick, its not in Georgia its just north and west of G.P. .... te he.

cheers