Older Students

firedoc5

We've discussed young, teenage students in length. What about older students. Like housewives that just had their youngest child go off to college or move out and is bored from "empty nest syndrome"? Or the guy who just retired after 25yrs. of his job looking for something to do?

Those people tend to be two distinct types in EMS

1. housewife who has the empty nest syndrome - usually are doing it out of boredom and then they go volunteer at a volly service

2. guy out of the biz world wanting to do something new - that person usually makes a good medic or emt. They seem to have more of a passion for the responsibilities of the job and not just a adrenaline seeker.

of course this does not apply to all cases but it's the majority of what I've seen.

Those people tend to be two distinct types in EMS

1. housewife who has the empty nest syndrome - usually are doing it out of boredom and then they go volunteer at a volly service

2. guy out of the biz world wanting to do something new - that person usually makes a good medic or emt. They seem to have more of a passion for the responsibilities of the job and not just a adrenaline seeker.

of course this does not apply to all cases but it's the majority of what I've seen.

I completely agree on both counts. While I was with a private serv. We had a guy start that was a retired St.Louis police officer and was a Deputy Sheriff for awhile. At first we were a little leary of him. I believe he was 49, and he looked a little gruff. But he did good. He worked up from EMT-A to Paramedic and even went on to be an RN. Last I knew he was working ICU in St. Louis Barnes-Jewish Hospital. But that was a few years ago.

And we had a few older ladies that seemed to work out quite well. Perhaps it comes with maturity, but they seemed to have an apparent greater level of common sense. And some seemed to be able to grasp some skills more quickly than some of the younger students.

I believe I can add to this thread, since I are a older kollege stoodunt. :lol:

I graduated for University in 1983 with a BS in Biology. After that, my father who was a long haul truck driver took ill and lost his class A license. To help out, I started driving his truck for him and found myself attracted to the money and the freedom.

I spent almost 20 years doing that, however I truly wasn't satisfied. In 2004, my wife and I immigrated to the USA. She is a RN working in the OR on the trauma team. I however, wasn't aloud to work as I didn't have a green card, yet. So being bored I took the EMT-B class for something to do. Beleive me, playing golf everyday gets tiresome.

Anyway, EMT-B didn't do it for me. So I enrolled in a Paramedic programme which completed in Dec. '07. I loved every minute of it! I belieive this is what I needed. I love trying to find out what is going on. It's like being a detective sometimes. I also feel, that being older gave me a different perspective.

Now, at the ripe old age of 47 I'm a certified paramedic in the State of NC. I encourage anyone who has considered changing careers and can afford it, to go back to school. Hanging with the younger students was refreshing to say the least. 8)

As a 40ish year old paramedic student I think I am benefited by my life experience.

It is funny patients turn to me because I am older than many of my paramedic partners and ask me questions. If I say something needs done patients seem less threatened. I think if I get myself a cane and a sports coat patients will let me do anything because they will think I'm House. :lol:

I love trying to find out what is going on. It's like being a detective sometimes.

That is exactly the sort of motivation I want to see in newcomers to EMS. I want people whose primary motivation is an intellectual challenge. If I don't hear that -- in so many words -- when I interview you, you aren't getting into my school or my agency.

It is also why cops, like the one firedoc5 spoke of, make great medics. We have a whole lot in common with police work, because for the most part, it really is just detective work. Had we been aligned with the police service all these years instead of the firemonkeys, we would have progressed significantly more than we have to date.

I am really not much of an ageist when it comes to EMS. I see so much good and bad in all age ranges that I cannot make any accurate generalisations about suitability based upon age. Of course, maturity is indeed an asset, and it is generally associated with age. So is life experience. Consequently, the older you are, the more likely you are to have that edge, no doubt. But, by the same token, age many times also takes away your enthusiasm and removes you from "educational mode" long enough that it slows down your adaptability to new situations. That is why youth will many times have an advantage themselves. And none of these rules apply across the board, so really, I can only judge people based upon their individual merits. I'm going to give equal consideration to every medic that applies, regardless of age. And I'll take the 19 year old who just finished an associates degree in EMS over the 30 year old 90-day wonder, who is just waiting for the FD to call him, any day.

I tend to think that anybody who thinks they missed out on an EMS job strictly because of age is probably fooling themselves and missing some other huge factor that made the difference, like education or stability.

It's not the age, but the mileage. :walk:

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. :evil2:

Spenac, but can you limp like house, and pop the pain pills like house can?

Hey! I resemble that remark. :laughing6: