Worst Patient Care Errors

simple is always the best. we had a strecher collaps and caused the patient with an fx of the tib/fib more pain. we got in a hurry and done it so many times without an incident. always take care on the simple things they will bite you.

Incredibly true! There is an old saying that goes "The devil lies in the details" As paramedics we are often totally engrossed in one aspect (usually critical skills or med admin) of a given patient situation and fail to pay attention to the details. By details I mean small things that individually aren't life threatening but, combined with three other "small things" could be much more significant.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredibly true! There is an old saying that goes "The devil lies in the details" As paramedics we are often totally engrossed in one aspect (usually critical skills or med admin) of a given patient situation and fail to pay attention to the details. By details I mean small things that individually aren't life threatening but, combined with three other "small things" could be much more significant.

And, running like the devil is chasing them with both the L/S thing back to the hospital and running them into the ED entrance has led to many a patient being "dumped" at the door. A few months ago a hospital had this happen twice. The "shortness of breath" patients quickly turned into trauma also with one suffering a head injury and the other with clavicle/humerus fxs.

I remember one other pt that had cancer with bone metastasis who suffered bone fxs from being dumped. Those breaks will probably not heal. I also believe that was a routine transport from a SNF for a port-a-cath placement.

Perhaps you should be selecting better candidates for ventilating your patients or secure your tubes better. I recommend an entire roll of silk tape if necessary. At the end of the day, its still your fault if the tube comes out, but you already knew that...................

You can only work with what, or who, is available. THAT is why it p!sses me off so bad. Believe me, if I had four hands I'd be protecting that airway along with the other stuff. Whether it be a basic CPR class or ACLS, I emphasize airway, airway, airway. No matter what else you're doing, without airway you've got nothing. And so many seem to overlook that.

Have you ever had someone with you that you just wanted to smack on a daily basis?

Ok I'll concede the fact its hard to make chicken salad from chicken s%$#. :lol:

I've got to remember that one. :laughing6:

Here is a bad stretcher story. My partner and I were sitting in our ambulance, at the hospital, waiting for another rig to unload their pt before we could back out. All of a sudden my partner yelled "OH @#$% !" My partner was looking in the rereview mirror when he saw the stretcher fall right to the ground! We jumped out and went running to help them. (This stretcher was the type that the wheels folded back instead of just going up or down). Also, somehow the stretcher missed the safety hook that grabs the stretcher when you are unloading a pt. They were in a bit of a rush and had lack of communication. The stretcher also landed on its side. We helped them get the pt back upright and into the ED. I am not sure what had come of that incident. It was an agency that doesn't frequent that hospital often.

Second story- I once saw two people wheel a stretcher down a driveway to the road where the ambulance was. They had turned the stretcher sideways before they got to the road so they could load the pt into the ambulance. Well, I saw this happening and it was like it was all in slow motion. I was at the top of the driveway carrying two or three bags out of the house. I dropped the bags and went running (even though you should never run on scene :wink: ), but it was to late. They had hit a hole between the driveway and the road, and the stretcher being top heavy, the side wheels caught and flipped the stretcher over onto its side. We got the stretcher upright and loaded. They filed all the proper paperwork, and told the ED staff what had happened. They pt was okay and somehow was still very nice and understanding.

Second story- I once saw two people wheel a stretcher down a driveway to the road where the ambulance was. They had turned the stretcher sideways before they got to the road so they could load the pt into the ambulance.

Kind of "Stretcher 101". Do not turn stretcher sideways while rolling. [-X If need be stretcher should be picked up off wheels. If rough enough terrain, lower stretcher and carry. I too have seen it happen. :sad11:

Where do I start? Oh, here we go:

2. Almost as bad; make sure you have your stretcher.

On this note, I had the experience of nearly forgetting a stretcher when working a holiday with a partner I normally didn't have. I was used to my partner who always remakes stretcher while I write paperwork, then he puts it back - I clean my own back - I figure I make the mess I clean it up - but he's partial to driving and making the stretcher, so I'm like cool 'cause I don't like to do either. We work great together. Well, I walked out and my partner for the day was already in the truck, so I figured he had put the stretcher back - I had my dumb moment and didn't check (we had little window trucks not walkthroughs so not SO obvious). Got a call leaving ER, and we responded out. Got to the house, and I went to get stretcher only to find it wasn't back there. Had to call a second truck to transport while we returned to ER to get our stretcher. Five years later, I still check every single time to make sure that stretcher is there as I won't ever be caught with my pants down again like that !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.