Here's my rant

Kaisu

As with any thread on DNRs, it all comes down to your local policies regarding them. Where I worked, family could, provided that the patient was incapacitated, could resend a DNR at any time, regardless on if they were the POA:HC or not. Similarly, immediate family could request that EMS providers "withdraw or withhold" resuscitation also, effectively making the patient a DNR. There was a documentation policy clearly set forth on what needed to be documented and who needed to sign the PCR as well.

Talking about the logistics on who can do what, when with a DNR on an internet forum is next to useless outside of discussing theory and best practices. Any application will ultimately come from what your medical director wants you to do in these situations.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:? If a family member could rescind a DNR at any time, that would sort of render them useless. I forgot you worked in Orange County though, my bad. :wink:

Here, we have to see a DNR. It cannot be a photo copy or a verbal say so. If one can't be located we have to go to work.

Hey now, it looks like our paramedics might finally be able to give aspirin starting sometime this year.

Besides, how often are the family actually at the nursing home when the patient starts going down hill?

If this were to take place in New York City, 9-1-1 still would have been called as they (the BLS and ALS crews) are the "authority" to "pronounced" a patient DOA (actual wording is "Pronounce PRESUMPTION of Death"). The first words out of our mouths, if we even think CPR is either in progress or might be needed in seconds from our arrival, at a NH is "Does the patient have a DNR?"

Before someone comments on this as FDNY EMS crews are lazy, remember, except for a confirmed DOA called into 9-1-1 by an outside ambulance agency, we're going to throw a CFR-D Engine, a BLS ambulance, and an ALS ambulance at it, and NYPD is sending a Radio Motor Patrol team. If we know there is a DNR, the first ambulance team arriving can cancel the other one, release the CFR-D Engine company, and, pursuant to our policies, ask for a NYPD Sargent "with the '95 Tag'" ("body tag" or "Toe Tag")

Then I'm NOT going to tell you what all gets rolled, flown, and floated out, for a submersion/search in the coastal ocean beachfront here!

Having always been rural and your doing good if you can get 1 cop to help it just shocks me the thought of so many resources at one spot.

Having always been rural and your doing good if you can get 1 cop to help it just shocks me the thought of so many resources at one spot.

Don't forget bystanders... LOL

There's a lot of reasons to use resources "just because you have them" some good, some bad, most political (IMHO)

I'm sure Richard B could easily elaborate on the last two...

-w

Shall we say that there are those actively involved in the search/rescue event, those held in reserve, and those standing by to assist those actively involved in the search/rescue event, should they get into trouble.

Also, there is still some "battle of the badges" involved, so FDNY and NYPD divers will conduct separate searches only yards from each other.

I just hope both don't hide behind that old line quoted in the papers, after a "newscopter" crashed in the Hudson river some years ago, with fatalities, that one side speaks "Police-ese" the other, "Fire-ese". I don't recall if that was a FDNY or NYPD "official spokesperson".

My take then, and still now, is, that no matter if they are from NYPD or FDNY, if they are rescue divers, they should speak "Diver-ese" as a common "language"

Shall we say that there are those actively involved ... after a "newscopter" crashed in the Hudson river some years ago, with fatalities, that one side speaks "Police-ese" the other, "Fire-ese". I don't recall if that was a FDNY or NYPD "official spokesperson".

You talking about the crash in the EAST river? It was a tourist chopper in the Hudson. Going back to the big Cluster on the East river, if you noticed with all FD and PD on scene, it was still a private unit that transported….

You talking about the crash in the EAST river? It was a tourest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.