Tired of ER wait page the hospital administrator/ ER Tips

spenac

Always carry ipecac with you. If the wait looks unreasonable, chug it.

If you start blowing chunks across the crowded waiting room, trust me, they'll take notice.

The first one that calls the administrator is getting their Dilaudid drip cut off. Blowing chunks in the waiting room? Looks like you need an NG tube.

When I saw this report on CNN this morning I had thoughts more along your lines Doc. Extra game playing gets you special treatment :wink: .

A long time ago, I mentioned someone charged with assault for spiking the coffee urn with a diuretic.

Therefore, I strongly urge everyone to not have the patient take Ipicac, to make them vomit to receive faster attention, as you could be charged, lose your EMT or Paramedic "ticket", and be incarcerated.

All of these "recommendations" just plug the holes in the dyke. We need to fix the real problem. We need to re-educate people about what an emergency room is. Hospital administration loves high volumes because they love the money. We need to be allowed to turn people away when it is inappropraite for them to be here. Until adminstration backs off on money and Press-Ganey our hands are tied. Since I can't make them go away, the thing I try to do is make them uncomfortable with their decision to come in. "So, you've had this pain for 2 weeks. Have you called your doctor yet? No? Why not? What about it made it so bad that you need to be seen tonight."

You know, I always thought that unplugged holes was a distinguishing characteristic of a dyke.

Are you sure you don't mean disgusting characteristic?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.