REALIZING HOW BURNED OUT I AM BECOMING

FFMedic 1911,

I know it is hard to really see the good you are doing when you spend so much time on illogical rules and paperwork, politics and incompetence. I get pretty tired of this sometime to. Then I have a great experience with a client whom I am able to help and who is so thankful. Those are the times you need to try to focus on. I also have become very good at filling out form with the BS they want. I also sometimes battle the system (pick your battles) and occasionally actually win. Stand up for what you believe.

Put the drink down, (ice cream works for Me) :D

Virginia

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jouleman

Welcome, and I do hope you have found camaraderie here.

I didn't think I would ever agree with Dust on any thing but CISM is useless and at the hands of being forced through it unsuccessfully I detest the very thought of it. You are better off seeking your friends and fellow Crew members to vent and get it off your chest. I my self have recently been through a tuff situation with the loss of a flight crew. Here on EMT City I found friends that understood and To this day many will drop a note to ask how I am holding up, and If I am ok.

I think you also will find that type of friendship here.

Best of luck to you!

Jouleman, welcome to the city... this is a great place with great resources, and some wonderful people here. Hope you stick around...

I didn't think I would ever agree with Dust on any thing but CISM is useless and at the hands of being forced through it unsuccessfully I detest the very thought of it.

Incog, you hit the nail on the head with that one... one of the biggest problems with "CISD" is that it is forced on EMS staff by people who have no f****n clue what goes on in our day to day lives... and they give the pat on the head and the "there there" speeches, and expect all to be better.

Having been involved with a CISM program that was actually useful to me, I will say it worked - for me - BUT that was because the people involved were all medical professionals who had been or still work in EMS, and knew the stresses of our work. They were people who I could vent to and who understood where I was coming from. It was also something that I attended voluntarily, and staff were not obligated or forced to go.

Most people who say "CISD doesn't work" are right in that it doesn't work when it is run by people who aren't in the medical profession, have no idea what we do and see in our shifts, and when it is forced on people.

For those who say "talk to someone you can trust, talk to a professional, vent away" that is what I consider CISM to be... it is taking are of yourself, just like you would if you had problems in a relationship, or you broke an ankle.

Jouleman, I hope you found some help in the posts here, and in some of the other threads on this site. Again, welcome, and hope you visit often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.