Medics Ambulance Company. . . .

BeccaKW

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kayak,

Are you truly interested in medicine? Or do you just like lights and sirens. Answer honestly. We had this discussion at my VFD the other day. There are alot of people who do not care for EMS that are foced to do it, and paitent care suffers. You can tell the difference between the two just running one or two calls with them.

This isn't an attack on firemen, there is a job to do for fire, there is a job to do with EMS, and there is a job to do with PD. Sometimes we all have to work together to achieve a common goal. Sometimes our worlds are completely seperated.

You have just discovered something about yourself reading this thread hopefully.

Think about it and tell us what it is.

Correct. They are part-timers. Professionalism means a commitment to the profession. Their only commitment is to doing whatever they have to do to keep their fire job.

Show me a fire medic who would quit the FD if they lost EMS, and I'll show you a professional. The rest are just scabs.

Hmm. So I guess taking a 2 year paramedic course, on my own time, and being on an ALS transport unit 98% of my shift days makes me a part timer. And no my FD doesn't "make" anyone take a paramedic program. Hence why you must do it on your own time, on your own dime.

EMS in the US is becoming a joke, nobody getting along because everyone thinks their way in the only RIGHT way. Guess what it's not 1970 anymore. There is fire based EMS all across the country. It's not going anywhere. I can't speak for everywhere, but the best, smartest, most aggressive medics I know here in Atlanta are fire based. I know medics from every walk of life. 95% of our flight medics here are also from full time FD's. I guess they are scum too!

What's that saying about change? And those who refuse to except it?

What are you, slow or something?

Answer the question: if you were no longer allowed to be a firefighter, would you still be happy to be just EMS? If so, then my generalisation -- which I admitted it was -- does not apply to you. In that case, don't pick a fight for fight's sake. It's just silly.

And FD EMS isn't change. It is the status quo. But, if you went to a two year paramedic programme, then you probably haven't been around long enough to realise that, so I'll let it go.

Well I just talked to medics and they told me to come in for orientation on thursday. I guess I have the job. I am pretty happy about that.

As for the question above I am interested in medicine. I someday actually hope to go back to school and maybe go to medical school. I really don't care about the lights and sirens. Although the look you get while wearing the uniform does make you feel good.

Although the look you get while wearing the uniform does make you feel good.

Don't get too hung up on it. People are just trying to figure out if your a security guard or an ambulance driver. :wink:

The company is called "Medics", and they run BLS calls. Trying to understand.................. :P

There's another company in California called Doctor's Ambulance. Are you proposing that not having MDs on the ambulances constitutes false advertising?

It's a name. Get over it.

Hmm. So I guess taking a 2 year <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> course, on my own time, and being on an ALS transport unit 98% of my shift days makes me a part timer. And no my FD doesn't "make" anyone take a <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> program. Hence why you must do it on your own time, on your own dime.

EMS in the US is becoming a joke, nobody getting along because everyone thinks their way in the only RIGHT way. Guess what it's not 1970 anymore. There is fire based EMS all across the country. It's not going anywhere. I can't speak for everywhere, but the best, smartest, most aggressive medics I know here in Atlanta are fire based. I know medics from every walk of life. 95% of our flight medics here are also from full time FD's. I guess they are scum too!

What's that saying about change? And those who refuse to except it?

A very near and dear friend of mine is a flightmedic- a damn good clinician as well- knows his stuff inside and out. He also works a ground unit as a medic part time. His bread a butter are his medic jobs. His passion? For the past 16 years he has served on the Rural fire department in his local town, as a Battalion Chief he responds to fire calls on his off days. His fire and medic positions are separated one from the other. That is the key thing. He does not worry about fire when he is flying or on the ground truck but I promise you as a Firefighter he would be the first to start rendering Pt care should he be on the scene of a fire and someone be hurt.

That would be the Firemedic that is not a scab. If you can provide care on that kind of level and keep it separated then you have your priorit straight. Note that the medic side comes first and foremost here as well. Maybe you should seriously think about your position. Quality pt care comes when you put the patient care part first and foremost. Not second best. If firefighting is your love in life then go fight fires. If being a paramedic is your love in life then great! Volunteer for fire in your down time...........but focus on that patient care or you are no good to any one as a medic.

I worked for MEDICS back in the late 80's. They provided transport for Broward county EMS. They weren't bad, but there was better to work for. They may have became a better service in the past 20 years.

Just try them and see if they are worth it.

Just my .02, County third service is the only way to go with EMS. Keep it out of the hands of the Fire service!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.