Family Affair

firedoc5

About three years after I became an EMT my father took the class. Even though in the early '70's he was on a river rescue squad, he hadn't been certified in anything. He eventually became the coordinator of the local volunteer service. My sister then took the class about a year later, that's when she met her husband. So between us there were four EMT's in the family. It drove my mother nuts, sitting around the dinner table and discussing the weekly highlights. We never could get her to take the class. We even told her that if she wouldn't have to take the state or national test, just take the class so she could understand what we were talking about. Jokingly we called it the "family business".

Any other's with family members in the profession?

My fiancee just passed his NREMT-B! Just got the card in the mail, ink not even dry. My brother wants to go to EMT school next year. My aunt is an ER nurse in Indiana. My cousin is an RN. Yeah... I think there's a few of us lol!

Most of my close friends are EMT's of some sort... yep... :)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

My wife and I are both NREMT-Basics, we met on this site in the chat room and we like being in the same business because we can support eachother and help eachother. we also know what to expect from the hours worked and everything else that others may not

My wife and I are both NREMT-Basics, we met on this site in the chat room and we like being in the same business because we can support eachother and help eachother. we also know what to expect from the hours worked and everything else that others may not

Wow... met in the EMT CITY Chat room?! LOL who would have thought! Well best of luck to you both!

My older brother and I lost our mother to traumatic event's when we where young; we both have unknowingly pledged our lives to being civil cervants... we both feel due to the events that took place.

He is 5 years older than I and he left home at an early age- 17-- and I moved out at 17 then moved away from him, away from my home state at the age of 20. We lived seperate lives and we where not close at all.

HOWEVER!

I am NREMT-B, EMD and CFC- and I work the dispatch for a HEMS service- he is a First responder and Volunteer Fire Fighter, has been for over five years now. He also is a Sergent, DUI Enforcment and Canine Officer with the Coopertown PD in Robertson County TN.

We both love what we do, and our professions have brought us closer together. We stand on common grounds that we never knew we had. Funny huh?

I almost lost my brother 2 years ago-- to a most unfortunate event that could have cost him is carrer as well. I thank God every day that I have the common ground to understand him and help him if needed so he never faces that type of situation again. When I go home to visit I sit with him all night- I do ride time with him. It definatly gets the adriniline going when your chasing down the speed violators!!

Although her professional training was more as a Medical Technician (lab tech), my girlfriend was, strictly within the corps, a First Responder, prior to the title being something needing state certification by the DoH. We met in the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps of the Rockaways, Queens County, NYC, NY.

Since I’ve been doing this since I was a lill tacker Mum use to drive me around to all the standbys and training/courses and sometimes having to wait around. She was the treasurer and decided to become operational.

I always swore I would never even date another nurse or medic, much less marry one. But alas, my fiancee' is both (well, EMT, not medic... yet). And we too met here at EMT City.

Other than a couple of MD cousins, I don't have any other family that is in the biz. A lot of them seem to be regular patients though, lol. :D

I am the "black sheep" in my family.

My mom was an ER nurse for years... my sister is a psychologist (and says I am her favorite case study for her Masters program). I have 3 cousins who are doctors, another 2 who are dentists, and another is a veterinarian....

And what do I get? "Why didn't you become a doctor??"

BECAUSE I LOVE WHAT I DO!!!!!!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.