Writing an article: EMS awareness

mobey

I have been tossing around the idea of writing a newspaper article. I would like to focus on the progression of EMS. Kind of a community awareness not only of our local ambulance but the entire EMS profession.

Have any of you wrote one before? I am looking for any input.

It seems like we sit and bitch about the way we are viewed by the public yet unless the general public subscribes to an EMS magazine they have no idea what is going on in the EMS world.

The key points I want to hit are:

Education (past & present)

Equipment (Past & present)

Scope of practice (Local)

As well as what is in the future for our community and EMS.

Please feel free to add any other key points you think should be included.

Not to be an a$$, but make sure you have someone proofread and edit for you.

Should have said, "Have any of you written one before?"

Lets make sure if we are going to put ourselves in the public eye like that, we do it correctly.

I haven't written an article, but I have talked with a few civic organizations on just that subject. Let me know if you do need any help with it.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested I have taken this one step further. I will now be writing a bi-weekly article for our local newspaper on the subject of EMS. The editor said if it is exceptionally interesting he will be forwarding it to our closesed major newspaper editor in the neighboring city.

It will be nice to be able to communicate some of the achievements and struggles we face in EMS with the public.

Not to be an a$$, but make sure you have someone proofread and edit for you.

Should have said, "Have any of you written one before?"

Lets make sure if we are going to put ourselves in the public eye like that, we do it correctly.

Ummm.....Ya...... Kinda figured that :roll:

I am kinda surprised I didn't get more positive support on this. I mean heck we whine and bitch constantly on this forum (me included), so I thought when a member was attempting to educate the public and try to advance the profession through a more active roll such as this, there would be huge support.

Ummm.....Ya...... Kinda figured that :roll:

I am kinda surprised I didn't get more positive support on this. I mean heck we whine and bitch constantly on this forum (me included), so I thought when a member was attempting to educate the public and try to advance the profession through a more active roll such as this, there would be huge support.

Nope we just like to complain and bash one another. :twisted:

But really hope you the best. I actually was going to do this also but could not get anyone to translate it into spanish.

If anyone is interested I have taken this one step further. I will now be writing a bi-weekly article for our local newspaper on the subject of EMS. The editor said if it is exceptionally interesting he will be forwarding it to our closesed major newspaper editor in the neighboring city.

It will be nice to be able to communicate some of the achievements and struggles we face in EMS with the public.

Great opportunity to allow the community to keep up with what is happening in EMS, but do you really think there is enough to say to keep them interested?

One little piece of advice I can give you. Double, triple check the correct and accuracy of any of your data or information you give. During the time you are writing or preparing the data can change, so be on top of that and change things accordingly.

Ya I will definatly have to keep on top of that firedoc.

I am going to be very general. The first one I am writing is on EMS in the past and EMS now.. I want people to know when they call an ambulance they are getting educated health care professionals, not a couple of taxi drivers with first aid. The articles are only around 300 words so I should be able to find enough topics for a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.