Sad state of affairs

JakeEMTP

For the uninformed, the Key-less Run On systems allow the engine of an emergency vehicle to keep running with the keys removed, allowing heat or A/C, and the emergency lights, to remain on. The systems are set up so as to kill the engine (and in some brands, sound an alarm the vehicle is being tampered with) if anyone tries to steal the vehicle. This is because you need the key back in the ignition, in the "run" position, and, as most vehicles need to have the brake pedal pressed before the gears can be shifted out of "Park", the kill (and alarm feature) are activated when the brake pedal is pressed.

FYI.

• 2 weeks later...

Privatize the EMS system. Whether as a Public Utility Model or just as a straight municipal contract situation, I say privatize it. Have an oversight board develop the standards, and charge them with CLOSELY monitoring clinical proficiency, response time performance, and general customer satisfaction.

Fire-based EMS, like any other form, can be great. But it appears in this case the time has come for dramatic change.

A sad story, but it may have been unavoidable. At 600+ pounds, she wouldn't have gotten into a police car. I doubt, especially with the difficulty breathing, that they could have gotten her up into the fire truck and they may have needed a certain ambulance. I know my squad, until recently, was using stretchers that would only hold up to 500 pounds. Maybe they were waiting for a bariatric ambulance with hoists and the proper equipment? Let's just hope that if mistakes were made, there were lessons learned. BTW, I spend lots of time in Philly, it's a wonderful city!

This is an incredibly sad incident showing how seriously the service there needs attention and overhaul.

I will also attempt to try to answer Jake's comment "I am trying to understand why a system was allowed to progress to such a state of disrepair and your info is appreciated. "

City council gets voted in, most of whom have no clue about most financial matters, or Fire/EMS services.

It takes them several months to settle into their position, and get designated their committees.

Something like this incident happens...

They spend the next several weeks in meetings, looking for someone to blame.. the previous council, the departments themselves, state or federal funding.... anything...

Since they are unable to completely put the blame on an outside source, they form a committee to study it further - this will take at least 6 months to a year.

At the end of the year, they review the committee's recommendations. Obviously, the recommendations are to put a significant amount of money into emergency services to bring it up to the standards that Fire/EMS staff would like, and to be able to better provide to the community.

They realize that they have made no budget considerations for this expense, have no reserve funds set aside for this, and claim that a) they cannot afford the lump sum required B) the taxpayers will complain at the big expense and c) that other departments will expect the same funding.

By this time they are back into pre-election campaigning, and will spend no more time on the issue.

They get voted out of their office, and the vicious cycle starts all over again.

Just my thoughts on how this happens.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.