STEINBACH ATTEMPTED MURDER / SUICIDE

K9kazoo

STEINBACH ATTEMPTED MURDER / SUICIDE

Steinbach, MB

January 2, 2008

On January 1, 2008, at approximately 6:45 p.m. Steinbach RCMP responded to a complaint that a 20 year old male had been shot at a residence in Steinbach, Manitoba.

While Police and Emergency Medical personnel where in the residence responding to the initial complaint, a second male subject (21 years of age), who was also present in the residence, obtained a firearm and fatally shot himself.

The initial shooting victim was transported to the Steinbach Bethesda Hospital and subsequently Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg. The victim is listed in critical but stable condition.

Both subjects are residents of Steinbach, Manitoba.

The RCMP Major Crime Unit along with Steinbach RCMP Detachment continue to investigate this incident.

No further information will be released at this time.

Contact person: Cpl. Brian Edmonds

(204) 983-8497

I would say scene safety is most definitely the issue here. Did EMS fail to have RCMP clear the scene or did the RCMP fail to clear the scene effectively?

Some lucky medics there. My questions are..

Why was the scene not secured by LE?

Did they know the 21 year old was in the residence?

Did the 21 year old shoot the 20 year old?

And finally.. you IDIOTS! Never go into a scene that isn't secured or cleared. He could have shot the medics and then himself. Nice guys.. nice..

Granted, they are very lucky. But I'm left thinking about the shootings I've been on and trying to play this one out in my head, devil's advocate I guess.

There seems to be some information left out here. How was the first person shot? Was it received as a self-inflicted GSW and they found the first gun? Was the second shooter meerly distraught over the first shooting?

Its easy to stand back and criticize, but I've been on a few scenes that were "cleared" by the police and we still received gunfire from shooters who returned to scene.

This does emphasize the need to ensure scene safety, but I dont think this crew did anything wrong (based on the limited information posted).

Devin

Well I would presume that they thought the scene was safe cause the cops were there. So I would ask who was on scene first? How did the call come in? Did the call come in as my friend has fallen and can't get up? And since this was dealing with RCMP how big is the community?? Was it a single officer responce or was there more then one on scene?

There is to many questions to answer and only the police and EMS personal can answer what was going on that day. SO lets just remember to be careful and remember that any scene can turn dangerous

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.