Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

We're dispatched by state PD as are most counties surrounding us, so we follow their codes. However, if a crew goes without transmission for over 15 min to update dispatch, they call to check, if no answer after 3 attempts, then they send us a trooper. After the first of this year though, we got GPS and we had frequent problems with them not being able to reach us in some remote parts of the county. Better equipment and the GPS as well as increasing number of dispatchers has helped reduce false alarms.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over our way "across the pond", I think ours is "Zebra Zebra", said after hitting the big red emergency button.

Although we don't have portable radios, only the one in the cab, which is a pain. To be honest though nine times out of ten most people just say "urgent police required" or something similar if its dangerous. It's interesting reading how you guys deal with RT procedure, ours is pretty informal, none of these 10 codes or such like. I've heard that in the future we're supposed to be getting the digital system with the emergency button (as mentioned above) which clears the channel for 15-30 seconds so you can say your piece, but it'll come when it comes.

As for the response you get once you've made the call it depends what time of day it is :roll: Sometimes you can get every crew & FRU who are free in the area along with the police and fire brigade, or if its a Friday night you might be lucky to get a single policeman.

• 2 weeks later...

My service uses 10-10 for a fight in progress. 10-32 gets used for everything else. If its really hitting the fan, we use 10-32 and throw in an expedite or forthwith. On calls, its just the ambulance crew that respond, so its just us for the 5 or so minutes until PD can get there.

I not only say it, but use it in my writing dependent upon need. Now, get back to dispatching and quit making fun of antiquated word use forthwith, or I will have to summarily gather my funds and journey your way for a gluteus maximus and dexteral lower appendage connection!

(Translation, get back to work and quit making fun of us, or I'm going to have to save up to travel your way to put my right foot in your butt!) :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Officially, the term is "10-85 Forthwith", which I always thought had a certain Shakespearian tone to it. Sometimes "10-13" is borrowed from police codes sometimes, but if you say "10-13" over the radio, something in close proximity to you had better be on fire, exploding, or have some bullets in it.

Officially for who? What State, country, city, agency? Hence the need for common language?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.