new contest

..and have cell phones/land lines in it for contacting county other than via radio.

ROFL! Me thinks somebody doesn't know what a land line is. :lol:

Although, it sounds like that entire post was written in jest. At least, I hope so. :?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I would do is set up a tuition assistance program for all employees, to upgrade their license levels (with the condition that if they don't pass the course, they pay back all the 'assistance monies' so that someone who will take the course seriously will be able to attend.

Second, I would upgrade the old 'two man cots' to 'one man Strykers' to make patient loading easier.

After that, I would insure all trucks had at least two portable air tanks per unit, two of the hollow core backboards (with new spider straps) and a new KED board.

All the 'jump kits' would be hard case kits, to protect the contents from contamination. All outdated supplies would be replaced as well.

Each unit would be recieving a laptop or other electronic device, for PCRs and incident reports, etc.

Each unit would also recieve a new stair chair, for getting pts out of areas you cant put a cot.

Depending on what was left over, I would consider elimination of the 'vanbulances' in favor of the modular units, so that with minimal effort, they can be converted from BLS to ALS use.

During this time, I would also look into the feasability of establishing contracts with local hospitals and nursing homes, so that a steady flow of income would be available.

Crew quarters would be stocked with more than a television and a microwave oven!

All units would also have Pulseoxymeters and BGL meters on board.

(I think I've already overspent my 'budget' here.....)

After careful consideration, the first thing I'd do with the money is substitute all of our Stryker stretchers with the Stryker Power-PRO XT. This way, medics are not killing their backs when they try to raise or lower the stretcher manually if they're transporting a big patient.

I am experiencing the pain of this right now! My lower back is killing me, and the doc thinks it might be a herniated disc, but not sure. Going for CT soon (hopefully).

If there's any money leftover after all ambulances in the province got the new stretchers, then I'd get a palm pilot for every medic in the province, so they could download protocols, policies and procedures onto them. They would have all the info at their fingertips, should they need to refer to any of it. As the protocols change, it's just as easy as changing the info in your palm pilot.

Merry Christmas everyone! I'll be floating through Christmas in a haze of Toradol and Flexeril!

With 1 Million dollars to spend on my EMS agency I would increase the training of the paramedics to be able to understand patient conditions better. With the new understanding of patient conditions they would then be able to tell which conditions require transport by ambulance or by taxi.

Part of the money would go to buying taxi tokens. When a patient does not meet transport criteria by ambulance, they can get a taxi token to get to the hospital. With this program the ambulances can transport patients only needing ambulance transport and not waste time with the patients who don't need it !!!

With the money saved every year there should be enough for better things like even more education and lots more taxi tokens !!!!!!!

Since I currently work for a CCB and provide care for adults with developmental disabilities, do I get to attribute this $1,000,000 to my current employer? Or do I use my camp EMS job?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

$75,000 - Fund for families of employees who are called to active duty. To aid in emergencies and for Christmas and Birthday presents for their children.

$25,000 - To form a support group for spouses of those called to active duty.

$75,000 - Geriatrics advanced training.

$150,000 - Advanced safety equipment for units; safety nets, crew restraints, lighting and reflective strips.

$150,000 - New High visibility jackets for crews.

$100,000 - New high visibility rain gear for crews.

$150,000 - New fitness equipment for crew workout center.

$200,000 - CCEMT-P Training for all Paramedics

$74,999 - Helmets and gloves for extrication safety.

$1.00 - Management bonus. :lol:

I’m currently working on getting an EMS service set up in the southern part of the county I live in. This area is called “Woodrow” and has a volunteer fire department, a school system, and many neighborhoods and housing areas. This is being started as a “Non-profit organization” and every cent that is made is going to be put back into the service. This is in Lubbock County and if you look at a map of Lubbock County, you will notice that along Woodrow road and US 87, there is a large area without adequate EMS service. Response times are very lengthy (between 10-15 minutes depending on which station is sent and where the call is located) and obviously transport times are lengthy. I live in the South part of Lubbock and I also have family in the Woodrow area. The calls vary from MVCs to major medicals. There is a major intersection in this territory and is considered by many "the deadliest intersection in Lubbock County". An average of 3-5 calls are made to this area daily.

www.lubbockems.org has a map that can show you the southern part of the county (between Slaton and Wolfforth).

First, we need a station. Two drive through ambulance bays with extra large bay doors. The floors of the ambulance bay will have drainage systems. The bay will be heat/cooling equipped and also insulated. The bay will have adequate storage for truck supplies, extra equipment, oxygen bottle storage, and a cleaning/decon station for backboards and other equipment. Also, a climate controlled supply closet for the extra medical supplies. Moving into the station, we need a conference/training room. Equipped with an overhead projector, tables, chairs, and training equipment (CPR dummies, fred the head, a training AED/12 lead machine, and other training equipment. Education is KEY!). This room will be used not only for EMS, also for public education and regional training. Adequate storage will also be needed to contain the training equipment. Near this area, offices will be needed for report writing, management, and billing and records. A living room complete with TV, recliners, and windows to let sunlight in during the day (I have stations without windows, what is this JAIL?). The kitchen will be complete with a nice eating area (enough for family members or visitors to eat with the crew). The kitchen will have a fridge, microwave, stove/oven, toaster, and adequate lighting (ever try to cook without good lighting?). The kitchen will also have a window or two. The crew quarters will have space to move around in, a closet, desk, and a pillow top mattress on the bed. Between the bedrooms, a nice bathroom with shower will be needed. A fitness room will also be needed. Weights, treadmills, stationary bikes, and various other equipment that are suggested by the employees. A fitness policy will be put into place and employees will be monitored to make sure they are fit and healthy (less insurance costs, less injuries, and a happier healthier employee). Wireless internet and a foyer complete with a couch and chairs for other members of public safety to relax in while on duty (SO, DPS, FD, EMS). This will not just be a EMS station, but a public safety station. We are all on the same team in my book.

Since we have 2 ambulance bays, that are extra large, 2 ambulances will be needed. Two wheeled coach medium duty ambulances will sit there. Outside it will be equipped with dual air horns, Federal signal Q siren, and dual whelen sirens. LEDS all around (red and blue). Stryker cots (the ones that raise at the touch of a button!) in the back, Lifepak 12’s with all the bells and whistles (CO2 detector, auto BP, pulse ox, 12 lead and biphasic capable) and a airway bag (containing 02 bottle, BVMs, first line meds, glucometer, combitubes, airway/intubation kit, and some bandaging/splinting supplies). Outside the ambulance, I would like to have SCBA gear, jaws of life, bunker gear and helmets, and other rescue equipment. And obviously, the normal equipment that is on every ambulance (too much crap to list here! You get the idea!).

The rest of the money will be as follows. Insurance plan, retirement fund, education fund, and a general fund for uniforms, pagers, radios, and station supplies. After that is set up, the remainder will be invested in Roth-IRAs. The money that the services brings in will be put back into the service and then returned back to the employees (better pay, retirement, benefits, equipment). Recruiting and retention are very important, also the staff moral. I also want to include yearly raises, Christmas and performance bonuses, and a emergency fund for the employee that hits a rough spot in life (paying for a funeral, birth, medical expenses, sick/extended leave, etc).

I hope to have many education programs, have in house training, and offer competitive salaries. Tuition assistance, vacation, holiday pay, and a medical expense fund. I want to be an example to other EMS services of what EMS truly can be; a professional, educated, and valuable part of the community.

This is only part of what I hope will happen, but it is the general outline of what I have planned without a million dollars. I guess blood, sweat, and tears will have to work.

ROFL! Me thinks somebody doesn't know what a land line is. :lol:

Although, it sounds like that entire post was written in jest. At least, I hope so. :?

I would like to clarify, I do know what a land line is....I worded it wrong. See the rigs that we have now Have two cell phones, one that is mobile and one that is mounted. I consider the mounted one more of a land line then I do the mobile one, however I am very aware of the fact that they both are land lines. Sorry for making myself look like an idiot once again...I just sort of wanted to win...so, my apologies.

I would like to clarify, I do know what a land line is....I worded it wrong. See the rigs that we have now Have two cell phones, one that is mobile and one that is mounted. I consider the mounted one more of a land line then I do the mobile one, however I am very aware of the fact that they both are land lines. Sorry for making myself look like an idiot once again...I just sort of wanted to win...so, my apologies.

Just for the record...a 'land line' is a phone that is hooked to the wall and requires wires to make calls....something like Ma Bell would put in your home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.