Tact? Have we become so synical/burned out we forget???

unknown

Tact is a careful consideration of one's current situation and surroundings, and acting accordingly.

For example, with respect to interpersonal relationships, tact is a careful consideration of the feelings and values of another so as to create harmonious relationships with a reduced potential for conflict or offense.

Tact in a military sense is the basis for tactics. An element is said to be tactical when their actions are in accordance with the military situation (presence or lack of enemy, illumination, inclement weather, etc).

Tact is a form of interpersonal diplomacy. Tact is the ability to induce change or communicate hurtful information without offending through the use of consideration, compassion, kindness, and reason.

For example, choosing an appropriate joke to entertain a small audience requires tact. Contrarily, a tactless joke is likely to make an audience angry or uncomfortable.

Tact is a substitute for fact.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tact"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

You posted a definition, more of a rambling blog type post. I didn't see anything personal from you that would require responding.

But anyways, here ya go...

Good job on defining the word tact. Thank you very much. :D

Well,

You posted a definition, more of a rambling blog type post. I didn't see anything personal from you that would require responding.

But anyways, here ya go...

Good job on defining the word tact. Thank you very much. :D

Well I guess I was just looking for a little input, feed back, comments, FEELINGS on the subject... I guess.... Glad to see some on else on line at 4am.......

Actually, I think it's pretty interesting.

Tact, do you use it every day? With every kind of person? Does you tactfulnes increase or decrease when you're online? Must tact come from genuine feeling or is tact used strictly for gain and/or manipulation acceptable?

Hmmm....

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.