ADDED TO YOUR JOB DISCRIPTION:

Offshore, I agree totally with you

Yes I believe that we should partially play the eyes and ears for this but to mandate it would be preposterous to assume we should do it

I think we should report things we see but a mandate is not the way to get it done.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If homeland security is going to start using us to police emergency scenes, then we will be thought of and treated as cops by the general public. This, as I see it; has potential for the hinderance of patient care to some extent.

This article was released just prior to the Bush Administration announcing the budget cuts for Homeland Security.

They're riding on the recent good deeds and news worthy stories of the observant EMTs that did notice some things that weren't quite right which did prevent potential disaster.

Keeping current with the news and the environment you are working in should prevail as commonsense without more mandates other than an occassional inservice on things that one should be aware of.

It is common place here that EMTs are viewed as "almost law" in the sense that they will not get let in to places even when it is a life and death situation. It is known that an EMT will have to report crimes. This already hinders the medical care that could be given.

I do not see much of how this will really change anything but the wording and publicity level. This is based on the fact that I do not think that EMTs will start searching houses that they get into.

It is true that as Americans we have let go our freedoms by the handful in the interest of the "war" on terror. I would hope that we would not let it go that far, that is very close to random searches IMHO. Of course my faith in that is shaky seeing how much we have let go without a fight.

Sad part of that is that I can't get over how much it feels like the terrorists winning when we run around destroying what makes us a great country (the constitution) in a fit of terror.

Yes, as an EMT, I am legally bound to report illegal activities, such as child abuse, elder abuse and the abuse of those that cannot take care of themselves, ie: the disabled child/adult that must have around the clock care. I even have a legal duty to report domestic abuse.

I am NOT legally, morally or ethically bound to report John Q. Public that has a hydroponic marijuana setup in his back room, where he cultivates a crop for personal use.

Since we don't go around working togather intel for the local/federal law enforcement community, THIS is why we can get access to places that the law enforcement communities cannot get to!

The EMT that does NOT wear a badge will get better information, more truth from the patient that has taken illegal drugs because we do not have 'direct arrest authority', and the patient knows that we have to abide by some form of confidentiality rules. Even the Fire Department EMTs are more likely to get lied to because of the badge. When you're sick or hurt, you're not looking closely at the shape of the patch on the sleeve, but that 'shiny thing' on the chest.

Granted, even the private company EMT that only wears a uniform, but no badge, will be ultimately lied to about illegal activity, only because the patient is already paranoid in the first place, and the uniform isn't helping things.

The threat of reprisal WILL affect future patients care, because we will be thinking in the back of our minds, that 'our day will come', and those that we have ratted out WILL get even! Because of this, we will potentially miss signs and symptoms that can and will affect the patients condition and care.

EMS has worked long and hard to build the small level of trust that we have now. If Homeland Security is successful in 'widening our scope of practice' to include covert information gathering, whatever level of trust we have with the general public will be lost forever!

What's next? Are we going to be utilized by the local law enforcement communities for accident investigations, DWI arrests, arresting drug users for possession or dealers?

If Homeland Security has their way, I see a slippery slope leading to EMS and the law enforcement community being inextricably intertwined....which could jeopardize any patient that we ever deal with after that!

I'm all for protecting the community, our homes, and our country, but we are NOT law enforcement officers, and we should leave that job to them!

I agree we are trusted by the general public. I often get information from patients they would never share with law enforcement. I also often get lied to. It's not really that fine of a line between violating a patient's trust and being vigilant to potential "things" we should report. Wasn't it an EMT in London who noticed the car loaded with explosives while responding to another call close by?

I agree we are trusted by the general public. I often get information from patients they would never share with law enforcement. I also often get lied to. It's not really that fine of a line between violating a patient's trust and being vigilant to potential "things" we should report. Wasn't it an EMT in London who noticed the car loaded with explosives while responding to another call close by?

There's a huge difference between staring at the face of a smoking gun, and "intel gathering" (IE spying). It's up to the individual EMT whether or not what he/she is looking at needs to be reported when it comes to broad terms such as "terrorism". But to make it a law? Things will go to hell in a handbasket quick.

They're riding on the recent good deeds and news worthy stories of the observant EMTs that did notice some things that weren't quite right which did prevent potential disaster.

I understand that Vent', but there is a difference between noticing something and looking for it. "Gathering information" for EMS providers is SAMPLE, OPQRST, and ... well, you get the idea.

If there is something apparent in plain view, then I will do my job to report it. But I will not investigate or probe homes in attempt at finding something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.