ADDED TO YOUR JOB DISCRIPTION:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EMS is about providing medical care and comfort.

Any attempt to purposely retard that mission, or the the faith the public has that that is our only mission will lead only to bad endings I'm thinking.

I think if we add an "Am I hear as a medic or a cop?" or "Is s/he here as a medic or a cop?" to health care providers minds, or those of the patients will only be detrimental.

It seems to me the government likes this idea because they can gather information in places they can't legally do so now. Unacceptable.

I would refuse to participate.

Dwayne

this idea is about as bad as the police using medics as officers on hostage situations. I remember the fire department that was used to go to a house (some type of crime was committed there) and used the fire department as a ruse to enter the house. I can't remember what it was but the fire department came under fire for that one.

Nice find! Interesting topic. This one will create mass discussion for sure.

If homeland security is going to start using us to police emergency scenes, then we will be thought of and treated as cops by the general public. This, as I see it; has potential for the hinderance of patient care to some extent.

What's interesting is that this article even indicates the potential for breaching public trust. What's even more interesting the consequence for breaching public trust causes no concern in their eyes for patient care but rather for the loss of a "collection asset". Here is the direct quote:

ad hoc collection practices that breach the public’s trust and expectation of medical confidentiality may result in the loss of this valuable collection asset or the creation of inordinately risk-averse TEWG oversight mechanisms.

Now...

Of course If you get called to a scene where someone has lost a limb or two and you notice that this person was building pipe bombs 10 feet away from where he was laying. Then of course you report it. Chances are there are police on the scene anyway in a situation like this. But what I get out of this article is when they label us as "information collectors", I get that they want us to go above and beyond what is directly related to patient care when they refer to "Collection".

I can just see it now: Let's rework the Acronym; SAMPLE history...

Feel free to add.

S - signs of terrorist activity or intent, Explosive vests, Rocket launchers, Charred flags, etc.

A

M

P

L

E

Seriously though, I'm not sure I am comfortable with this one. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. The funny thing is, that I do not think that terrorists will be calling the ambulance for boo boos when there ultimate quest is human sacrifice anyway.

I think everyone is missing the point. Do you have a moral responsibility to report child abuse? Then Why should you not report alleged Terrorist? Your observations or scene size-up are not protected medical information. I would hope that every EMS worker in this Great nation would not hesitate to report suspicious activity whether it was annonymous or not.. I would be interested everybody's views on the subject.

I have to agree with Dwayne. Spying is not my job. My job is to treat and comfort the sick and wounded. I work for my little city's squad for pete's sake...not the FBI! And I think it would take away from patient care. If I notice odd things sure, I'll tell them. But that's where the line is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.