What makes a medical provider "tactical?"

Are DMAT teams tactical medical operators?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes?
    • No?
    • I'm not sure what tactical means in an EMS setting.

Tactical seems to be the favorite word in EMS these days. I have always wondered what make an EMS provider a tactical EMT, Paramedic, etc. Is it necessary to be armed and wear armor, is it purely based on job description. Im on a state/"federalizable" disaster med team. We bring in all of our own gear and each "operator" packs in his own food, water and gear to be self sufficient for the first 72 hours. We maintain a tactical operations center (TOC) and work hand in hand with armed elements of the NG and ANG. We ourselves do not carry weapons (unless you count my Benchmade) or wear ballisic vests. Basically we come in my plane, set up a field hospital/casualty collection point, triage, treat and evac. Would we (or the other DMATs around the country) be considered tactical or is that a term reserved for armed medical teams? Would the more appropriate term be "operational?" I really am curious because tactical is applied to everything from the medical operators themselves to stethoscopes. We wear BDUs and comat boots. We are trained to respond to CBRNE events. What exactly makers a provider or team "tactical?"

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tactical seems to be the favorite word in EMS these days. I have always wondered what make an EMS provider a tactical EMT, Paramedic, etc. Is it necessary to be armed and wear armor, is it purely based on job description. Im on a state/"federalizable" disaster med team. We bring in all of our own gear and each "operator" packs in his own food, water and gear to be self sufficient for the first 72 hours. We maintain a tactical operations center (TOC) and work hand in hand with armed elements of the NG and ANG. We ourselves do not carry weapons (unless you count my Benchmade) or wear ballisic vests. Basically we come in my plane, set up a field hospital/casualty collection point, triage, treat and evac. Would we (or the other DMATs around the country) be considered tactical or is that a term reserved for armed medical teams? Would the more appropriate term be "operational?" I really am curious because tactical is applied to everything from the medical operators themselves to stethoscopes. We wear BDUs and comat boots. We are trained to respond to CBRNE events. What exactly makers a provider or team "tactical?"

Thanks.

Tactical medics are educated on how to work with LE on stand offs, entry, etc. In other words you are trained to go into the actual fire zone so you can start care immediately on injured while anybody with common sense would stay out. Some places allow these people to get certified with their firearm and carry. Others assign an officer to stay with you at all times. Just a brief overview. Some will give you more details I'm sure.

My thought is that if tc3 (tactical combat casualty care) comes into play you perform your job, you are a tactical medic. I seriously doubt there are very many in the US who would qualify. I mostly see military medics (including folks from AF, and Navy Corpsman) falling into this category. I have not seen too many SWAT Teams that have medics deploying directly with them. I did see on discovery channel show, Miami Swat took a FD Medic and trained her, so there are a few.

Just my opinion.

We have subteams within IMERT that are trained to provide medical care in WMD hotzones (ie hot, warm, cold). They are trained to provide BLS/ALS in full hazmat gear. Granted they arent likely to face being shot at, but would this be considered tactical?

I do not consider that tactical. That is HAZMAT EMS if there is such an EMS specialty.

I deploy at the back of the stack with our SWAT team, and know many civilian medics who do as well.

Tactical medics are those who provide medical care in environments that are expected to be hostile, with the possible addition of being remote and/or austere. This does not include medics who simply work EMS in bad neighborhoods. It means people who provide that care in situations EXPECTING to be shot at.

What NREMT-Basic is describing is disaster medicine, not tactical medicine. The fact that you do not wear body armor illustrates the fact that you don't expect to be shot at.

Hazmat does not qualify one as tactical, though it is possible that hazardous materials may factor into a tactical scenario. Hazmat by itself is not tactical.

'zilla

Oh Heck Yeah my AWESOME flight crews strike again!! Please read the following response given by a flight medic after I sent your question to him..........

In my experience, Tactical Emergency Medical Services (TEMS) has been soley reserved for those participating on a SWAT type team. Usually armed. The EMTP on the team can be a police officer or not. Here in Rolla, I was told that I can be on it unarmed unless I bought the gun myself and then it would only be for self protection. If the EMTP is an officer, then they can have a gun provided by the issuing department as well as have arrest powers. Most of the DMAT's have also been called tactical. To me, it's just a generic term. If you look at the definition of Tactical you get this:

tac·ti·cal /,,tæktɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tak-ti-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.

2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.

3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

4. expedient; calculated.

5. prudent; politic.

With this, then yes, any team that trains in this manner is a tactical team.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.

3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

4. expedient; calculated.

5. prudent; politic.

Dude I'm a tactical medic and just didn't know it. But really the true use of it in EMS is those specially trained and used in the line of fire to paraphrase doc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.