POLL When choosing equipment what is most important

WANTYNU

When choosing emergency equipment what is most important to you.  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• PRICE
    • QUALITY
    • CONVENIENCE (Impulse buying)
    • FAILURE GUARANTEE (If it breaks it is fixed or replaced)
    • SATISFACTION GUARANTEE (Money back for any reason)

I am only slightly willing to pay for aesthetics. I am a slave to fashion, but not so much that I'll buy the platinum badge from Galls when the chrome one works just as well, and few would ever know the difference.

Dust is a whacker. I just never thought I would hear that you were buying badges, never ever thought it. Shock, disbelief. How can I ever take advice from you again? :wink:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, Thanks for the outstanding and thoughtful posts,

At this point I think it’s fair to give some background to this poll, I recently received an email from a vendor that has convinced me the folks who carry and choose our equipment don’t give a damn about us, just our money.

He was bragging that they get knockoff stethoscopes for less than $5 that look just like Littman’s that he sells for $40 + each, (an 800% markup) and other common equipment that doesn’t come to mind at the moment.

To them we are a captive audience with limited choices.

I wish I could say more about my relationship with this vendor, but I’m pretty sure it’s against forum rules, so I’ll just quote the rep for the vendor.

I spoke to them and they are looking at it from a business point of view and nothing personal of course. For them to make 4.00 a wrench selling your product versus 8.00 selling the Hudson, while completely inferior, it makes them more money.

Sometimes business owners would like to drive a Ferrari but can only afford the Taurus. Both get you from point A to B...of course the Ferrari gets you there with a lot more luxury, and so does your product. I've dealt with this type of decision making all the time, and in today’s world it all comes down to profits.

So, with that said I wish I could help you out more, but unless you can make your product for a cheaper price like we have discussed in the past, they don't see the value and won't continue the relationship.

[/font:fc4401ec63]

I know I have other hurdles, such as mine for the most part is an “issued” item versus something you buy yourself, the quality vs price debate is answered not by the end user, but by an administrator concerned by budget. I’m not sure you know you can buy a bag of 100 plastic wrenches for $59 dollars (this place sells them for $4.95 each).

The point is, for us in the field who depend on our equipment, quality is clearly priority one, but the reality in the market place, believe it or not, we aren’t give the choice. Personally I think this is BS and we deserve better.

I guess another question I should ask is: Do you ever go out to buy an item you are issued for free?

Thanks again for the thought everyone has put into their posts.

Best

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

:D Since I did not receive a free gift no more answers from me. :lol:

Ok to answer your question yes sometimes I do buy products on my own because I have a preference to it. The service I work for provides those things we listen to peoples air and blood movers with. I don't like the ones provided so I have bought ones I do like. Plus I don't like to trade ear wax. :pukeright:

Now most items I just learn to use what is provided.

I do feel as a former business owner it is better to close my business rather than cut quality.

:lol: Since I did not receive a free gift no more answers from me. :lol:

I'd send you a carabineer… but wouldn't want to be acused of buying your opinion. :lol:

I do feel as a former business owner it is better to close my business rather than cut quality.

I would like to avoid both those options, after all I started making this thing for myself, it just happened other folks seemed to want them as well.

But there are times I wonder if it’s worth all the hassle, at this point for the money it’s cost me, I could’ve bought a nice car! :D

Best.

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

The service I work for provides those things we listen to peoples air and blood movers with. I don't like the ones provided so I have bought ones I do like. Plus I don't like to trade ear wax. :pukeright:

Ours too, (btw the ear wax thing was ENTIRELY “TMI” :puke: ), but every time I forget mine and use the one in the bag (which is bad enough because it su*ks and I’m old and deaf), I seem to get an ear infection which su*ks even more…

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

I'd send you a carabineer… but wouldn't want to be acused of buying your opinion. :lol:

I would like to avoid both those options, after all I started making this thing for myself, it just happened other folks seemed to want them as well.

But there are times I wonder if it’s worth all the hassle, at this point for the money it’s cost me, I could’ve bought a nice car! :D

Best.

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

Every one knows I accept bribes. 8)

Not suggesting that you close down. Just saying it's better to maintain quality than cave in and just make the same crap everybody else does.

Have you priced out having another company mill your tools for you? Or is it where you would have to buy such a huge quanity to get costs down some that you would have trouble ever selling them all?

I do hope you the best.

I cant say i read all the replies in their entirety, just sort of skimmed through, but im not quite sure i saw anyone mention OH&S considerations as a part of quality.

The leading cause of injury for ambo's in Oz at the moment is shoulder/rotator cuff injuries from using semi rigid or hard cases that only have one handle or shoulder strap, especially from slinging heavy bags over one shoulder. This also leads to lower back injuries from walking with wieght distributed on one side of the body Im all for having ergonomically designed backpacks that spread load and are durable with easy access to the gear you actually need, instead of adding "extras" that just take up space and increase weight.

my .5 AUD (we dont have .2 cent coinsa anymore)

Everyone knows I accept bribes. 8)

The act of Bribery implies the Bribe-r has money or something of value to give for a favor to the Bribe-e, the bank owns me, perhaps I could interest you in my sister, she’s almost a virgin…. :D

Not suggesting that you close down. Just saying it's better to maintain quality than cave in and just make the same crap everybody else does.

Have you priced out having another company mill your tools for you? Or is it where you would have to buy such a huge quantity to get costs down some that you would have trouble ever selling them all?

Here’s the tricky part, I feel by talking too much about my individual situation, I am on thin ice (no snakebite jokes please) forum wise here.

So in general terms: Manufacturing is already done by a company that can conform to specific requirements, (the same used in both automotive and aircraft), this is the reason not to use China, as cardboard won’t work, I would not buy or make a tool I couldn’t personally rely on.

The expense of manufacturing here is unbelievable, :shock: hence low margins, leading to a lack of distributor interest. Super mass production is still a consideration, abet a very expensive one. Although a lot would have to be produced, it would lower the per-piece cost somewhat. To answer the second part of the question, having a large quantity on hand, I believe it would take time to sell but there would be a market for it. I mean how many EMS personnel are there across the country anyway, a couple of hundred thousand? (18K on this site alone)?

If what I am reading on this thread is true: that there will always be a market for true quality. As long as we continue to give our Pt’s O2, (as well as a percentage of the o2 bottle manufactures maintain the current stem valve design), then there should always be a market.

I do hope you the best.

Thank you! (It still won’t get you a freebie…) :? :lol:

Be Safe

WANTYNU

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.