Detroit EMT-I Wants To Relocate To Calgary

Sincere

Here is the current breakdown on the west coast to the best of my knowledge.

EMR: 150 hrs didactic

PCP: 540 hrs didactic

50 hrs clinical

~200 hrs ambulance (I have heard this has recently been raised by another 4 tours)

ACP: 500 hrs didactic

~250 hrs clinical

minimum 1728 hrs ambulance

Numbers may vary somewhat because hospital and ambulance practicums are competency based and additional time may be required depending on the students as well the call volume. The numbers above would generally be considered the minimums.

Not sure about CCP but it around 1 extra year after ACP. Probably somewhere around 600-800 hrs I would estimate.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten a lot of the papers together to try and convince the BC boards that I'm worthy of an ACP certification. I found out King County, Washington, won't recognize reciprocity, thank you very much you bunch of egotistical douchebags.

You'd think having a degree from an accreditied university in paramedicine would be enough to be at least considered for reciprocity, but ohhhh no, no, no, not there, they know best. ASSHOLES!

Comment is directed towards Dustdevil, how is it that you can summarize every paramedic program in the US as inferior to Canadian programs...

Can you direct me back to a specific quote of mine where I made that statement?

I post a lot of stuff here, so I don't recall each and every statement. But I sure don't recall saying anything about "every" programme. In fact, it is damn rare that I make all-inclusive statements like that.

Hello Dust, here is the quote, it is not verbatum from what I put on the original statement, but is what it infered to. "Like most Americans, you're probably thinking, "well that sucks! I learned all that stuff in 4 months!" You didn't. They don't train paramedics in Canadia. They educate them. Whereas you spent most of EMT school learning skills any third grader could master in a weekend, they spend that one or two years actually learning a good bit of medicine, and assessment skills that are unheard of for an American trained EMT",

My ACP program consists of:

Didactic= 1152

Hospital clinical= 450

Field= 350

Our field clinical is done at a 110,000 call volume area, I saw on one of the posts that they do 1500 hours of field clinical, is this correct?

Okay, we're talking about two different things then. What I was comparing was the American entry level of EMT to the Canadian entry level of PCP. I was specifically referring to basic EMT school (just under 200 hours in Michigan), not the more advanced Paramedic school, which would be at least five times that much.

But regardless, I never said "every". I'm not stupid. I do know that each school is different.

Thanks for clearing it up, I wasn't trying to be confrontational, but am fairly defensive when it comes to people looking at every program in the US as inadequate. I also know that every paramedic that graduates thinks his/her program is the toughest in the land. The proff is in the pudding. With your time on the forum and apparent experience, how does our program stack up?

Thanks for clearing it up, I wasn't trying to be confrontational, but am fairly defensive when it comes to people looking at every program in the US as inadequate.

That's cool. I understand that. The good thing about the majority being inadequate is that it makes the outstanding ones look a lot better, lol.

Anyhow, I'm a little confused as to whether you are American or Canadian, since you are interchanging the terms. Not knowing that, it's a little hard to do the math on your numbers. And obviously, numbers are extremely important. More is always better. But quality is equally important, so the only "stacking up" I could really do would be mathematical.

You're absolutely right about most people thinking their medic school was teh aw3s0me, yet having absolutely no frame of reference from which to make any real objective determinations. Tis human nature. A lot of fragile egos in this biz, where people simply refuse to hear anything that threatens their pipe dreams. That's one thing that holds us back terribly. One thing I notice about Canadia is that this is not nearly as prevalent as it is in the U.S. Yeah, you still hear a lot of people cheerleading for their school. But it is still extremely common to hear people saying that they wish they had attended a different school, recommending other schools, or speaking candidly about the shortcomings of their educational experience. I guess it's one of the fundamental differences between our two systems. More so, it's a fundamental difference between our two peoples. U.S. EMS could achieve a lot of professional growth with more attitudes like that.

But it is still extremely common to hear people saying that they wish they had attended a different school, recommending other schools, or speaking candidly about the shortcomings of their educational experience. I guess it's one of the fundamental differences between our two systems. More so, it's a fundamental difference between our two peoples. U.S. EMS could achieve a lot of professional growth with more attitudes like that.

Are you saying we become uber polite like those darn Canadians?

EMS as a profession in the USA, what a novel idea. I wonder why no one has thought of that. Really while I initially did not think requiring EMS degrees was a good thing, more and more I see it leading to us being looked at as Professionals and getting paid like we are professionals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.