Underlying cause?

itku2er

68 yo female with a blood glucose of LO on the one touch. Non responsive snoring resps.

VS T 97.8 P 66 thready R 36 BP 180/100

(this isnt as simple as it sounds.)

Was enough blood put on the test strip before it was tested by the glucometer? Can we re-test again, to see if we get another "LO" reading?

Were the batteries checked at crew change in the glucometer to make sure it was working properly? This has happened to me before, thought someone was hypoglycemic, and wasn't, because the glucometer failed.

If glucometer checks out fine, and still get a reading of "LO" on subsequent readings, then full assessment....another set of vitals, 12 lead, oxygen, IV, lung sounds, neuro exam....anybody know this patient? PMHx, meds she's on, compliant with meds?? Last time she was seen with normal LOC, was she complaining of feeling unwell, etc....

yes batteries were ok. Checked on 2 different machines.

previously she had no complaints she was talking no complaints she was found like this.

HX diabetic type 2 h/o CVA recent surgery on abd.

IDDM or NIDDM?

CVA Hx, was it hemmorragic or embolic in nature??

Hmmm....recent abd. surgery....thinking maybe she threw a clot here? Pupils? What she showing on the monitor? A-fib? Another reason to being thinking "clot".

Wouldn't hurt to treat for hypoglycemia, but obviously that's not the only problem, Terri-Lynn wouldn't make it that easy!

NRS on monitor

After she had 1 amp of d50 and 1mg of glucogen bs was bouncing from 150 back down to 50

CVA was hemmoragic 2 years ago

this is not good.

I'm suspecting some sort of tumor on the kidney or a infection of some sort

what's her temp?

vitals now?

Are her pupils deviated or different shapes?

what is her blood pressure from each arm?

How far are we from the hospital? I'd put her on the stretcher and get her goin to the ER.

what medications is she on? Do they all seem to be accounted for?

Is she on insulin?

• 3 weeks later...