Referring to standing orders/protocols on a call?

vs-eh?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a quick reference pocket version in the trucks but I have never used it. My opinion is that a responsible provider should know them already. :lol: I would spend a few minutes each shift reveiwing the protocols until I knew them cold when I first started or we had a change.

How many people see, and/or actually do this?

EDIT - Sorry, I mean actually opening the book and reading them.

I do it routinely. I'm just about done with classes, so I'm not a medic yet. That being said, I will pick up the protocol book en route to a call just to review. I'm also not opposed to looking at them in the back of the ambulance, just to check to see if I have overlooked something, or perhaps there is something else I could try.

I have witnessed experienced medics do this and I hope this is a practice I can continue once I gain some field experience. I don't want to become to complacent or to cocky ( can I say cocky here? ) that I think I know it all and don't need to review.

Ill agree that we should know the protocols cold with exception to pediatrics. Only a fool would attempt pediatric resuscitation without a length based tape.

Even with adults its much preferred to verify dosage and admin criteria, when there is a question, instead of assuming you "know it" It's unlikely you will need to refer to the protocols for routine arrests, Mi's etc but if you have something off the wall, you always have the protocols, radios and cellphones to obtain advice through.

I know the protocols, but I verify before administering meds. No shame in looking. The 10-15 seconds could keep you from a major error. Also on unusual calls will look to see if might be able to try another way of treating patient if what I try first fails.

We have printed drug cards in our drug kits, used mostly for peds.. Occasionally I look up something in for unusual cases, say a transvestite with a foreign object wedged up their anus who is showing signs and symptoms of organophosphate poisoning who just rammed their car into a parade killing an elephant, a clown, and three lemurs.

We have printed drug cards in our drug kits, used mostly for peds.. Occasionally I look up something in for unusual cases, say a transvestite with a foreign object wedged up their anus who is showing signs and symptoms of organophosphate poisoning who just rammed their car into a parade killing an elephant, a clown, and three lemurs.

Well thats just bizarre! Ive never seen lemurs in a parade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.