What isDifference between two of "Bledsoe's" Param

ghurty

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the books:

A) Essentials of Paramedic Care

and

:D Paramedic Care: Principles and Practice

They look to be the same thing, just one is one volume while the other is five.

Is one book more detailed then the other?

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the books by different authors or agencies?

In 1973/1974, when I was taking my first training as an EMT, we had "Emergency Care" from Brady, known as the "Yellow Book", and "Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured", from the AAOS, known as the "Orange Book".

The Yellow Book was almost a comic book, as I recall, and the Orange Book was, at least to me, written as a post-graduate College textbook.

However, both gave me the information the instructors wanted me to have.

Nowadays, I am aware, without remembering who the authors, agencies, or publishers are, of a "Black Book," and a "Blue Book", which, over these 34 years, I have also used at various refreshers. The information in any of these books, as used at my refresher classes, must have helped me pass my state tests, as I am still an EMT.

So, figure it like this: "Essentials of Paramedic Care" and "Paramedic Care: Principles and Practice", are probably written by different authors, and are in competition with each other, as well as Dr. Caroline's Paramedic training text (sorry, I forget the exact name of her book), a text used by numerous Paramedics working in my area.

Whatever text your instructors have you use, these instructors feel the training from which ever book the class is assigned to read, is the best one, which can change as the next editions of each get published, as your local protocols change, following new medical developments.

Side note:

If you watch the movie, "Mother, Jugs and Speed", the "Jugs" character is seen reading a copy of the first edition of the Orange Book, just before she tells the company she is now an EMT.

Oh, then the 5th edition is the newest one ("duh!" at me), with newer information than the previous editions. Check the publication dates, newest is best, as your instructors probably are aware.

Oh, then the 5th edition is the newest one ("duh!" at me), with newer information than the previous editions. Check the publication dates, newest is best, as your instructors probably are aware.

Actually Richard 1 is a big book and the other is a 5 book set. Sorry don't know the full difference of them.

I don't exactly know what the difference is, but I Know "Paramedic Care: Principles and Practices" is part of a volume series. "Essentials of Paramedic Care" must be a single book with main points about paramedicine? Neither is a newer version of each other, though, because there are "Principles and Practices" had editions published before and after the "Essentials" book. Maybe go to his website and send him an email...let us know what he wrote.

As a side note, I the "Paramedic Care" has so many inconsistencies...I'm reading through some of the volumes for practice, and have a whole page of notes/corrections that I'll probably eventually mail in to help out....I know one school that switched books they used because of that.

I have both.

We used the single book for class, I obtained the set so I would be able to reference one against the other.

I have read most of the single book, only used the set for reference, and have found very little difference in the items I've compared, most times word for word. Of course I haven't referenced everything, so it's possible there are major differences I simply haven't run across...

I'm not sure what the set costs as my intructor gave them to me, but with what I've seen so far, I would stick with the single volume....it seems to be what most schools use.

Dwayne

So Essentials of Paramedic Care is pretty much the same as Paramedic Care Series Vol. 3: Principles and Practices? That's not the only book your school is using is it? Because what about all the other info in Volumes 1, 2, 4, 5 of the series...? Like where they explain specific medical emergencies or trauma procedures...or do they cover all that in condensed form in the Essentials of Paramedic Care ?

So Essentials of Paramedic Care is pretty much the same as Paramedic Care Series Vol. 3: Principles and Practices? That's not the only book your school is using is it? Because what about all the other info in Volumes 1, 2, 4, 5 of the series...? Like where they explain specific medical emergencies or trauma procedures...or do they cover all that in condensed form in the Essentials of Paramedic Care ?

You know, I can't give you an answer you'd want to hang your hat on. The set is really not many more pages that the single book, I don't think.

We had several other books in the course, but this was the only paramedic specific book. To the best of my knowledge it covers the situations you mention in detail (if detail is used in the context of medic school), but like I said, I haven' really hit the others hard. The times though that I've used them for reference they are nearly word for word. (I actually remember them to be word for word, but I'm not sure, it's been a while since I've compared them)

It seems (I know I'm using "seems" a lot, but I just don't remembr for sure) that I stopped comparing the two after about a month or so, because I had reached the conclusion that the set was simply the modules from the one book broken into volumes for the set.

I guess I don't really have any solid info for you except that I constantly compare sources on material, and I stopped doing it between these two sources for some reason...I believe it to be because they were so similar.

I'm guessing AZ is probably our best resource for this question.

Dwayne