Vehicle info needed

Capman

Hello,

It would be greatly appreciated if there is anyone that could offer information and experience pertaining to the Navistar 4700LP.

http://www.lifestarrescue.com/LSR313/LSR313_Hyper.htm

It would be even better if this information could be comparable to the E350/450 Chassis.

This Navistar 4700LP would be used as a long distance, Interfacility Transport Unit; offering care ranging from BLS to Paramedic Specialty Care (PIFT-CCEMTP).

Is it...

1) ... a comfortable ride for patients, as the patients currently riding in the E350 complain about the comfort level and feeling every bump in the road.

2) ... easy to handle? I have no major complaints about the E350 chassis. I would expect that this Navistar 4700LP chassis would handle equally well, or better. Is this true?

3) ... fuel efficient? Is the DT466 Diesel a decent powerplant for this rig, or is it underpowered, leading to poor fuel efficiency?

Any other information that could be offered would be appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot.

Wow, that is a big rig. I'm thinking the way things are going your yearly diesel bill...

$1,987,345.67.

In all seriousness, and I know this is not going to be popular with the Fire Boys and Girls, we should be going smaller not bigger. I honestly think you are going to see more Sprinter type units due to fuel costs and environmental rules.

As has been mentioned in many of the strings, I live in traffic congested, overcrowded New York city. While I have that fascination with "Big" vehicles, too, I must presume that this is for usage where there is not too much other traffic, as this must be a be-yotch to maneuver in tight street situations like my city streets.

If you notice in news videos from NYC, one does not see too many "Tiller man" ladder companies anymore, but the really old hands mention their maneuvering ability, again, on the narrow streets, due to that guy on the far rear of the vehicle. The Maytag Repairman is the loneliest guy in town? Not to me, it's a fire department tiller man doing his job!

Also, something that size might be better utilized as a medium rescue. Seems to have the storage space for whatever you might need.

For a mention, I have never ridden in one of those things, just climbed aboard for a look around at various conventions where the dealers/venders are trying to sell you and your department on purchasing one from them.

This rig would be used in the rural EMS setting. It's key function will be highway use for interfacility/long distance tranports. The only traffic congestion will be in the cities we usually transport to. For example, Portland; Maine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.