More Money for 2 Year Degree

VentMedic

Salary in Chattanooga TN:

$41,000

Comparable salary in New York (Queens) NY:

$64,016.01

I don't know anyone in queens who makes 65K who can buy a house without assistance from wife or girlfriend making similar wage. Houses in the ghetto are 750K here, decent house between 1-2 mil. Enough about cost of living though.

I don't necessarily think we should have to become basics before medics, but thats just how it is.

I totally agree with you about the cost of living. I left Suffolk County for that very same reason. It's pretty bad when doctors making a good income are considered middle class.

I've asked this question before, but why should someone be an EMT before becoming a medic?

Others have come up with a couple reasons that I think have some validity, although everyone probably wont.

1. They are new to EMS and want to get some experience and make sure it's a career they want before they make the commitment to take the paramedic courses. Kind of like sleeping with your...nevermind. :)

2. They don't have the money at this point. I understand this point and depending on why you don't have the money, agree with it.

3. They want to become proficient at the skills they have learned before they learn now ones. This one is borderline. Your more likely to learn bad techniques and forget valuable information, but I understand how some get talked into this idea. :roll:

The idea of experience being necessary is pretty dated. It sounds like a ploy by people who don't want to progress any further so they can keep ahead of new blood although I'm sure that's not true in all cases.

Hey everyone, new here and this is my first post. I have been doing some research on the pay scale that we have as medics (I am actually a new medic). I have been looking into why the industry is not uniformaly represented, why because of our skills set vs. an RN we get paid so low. Most everything comes down to the fact of education. In todays society we look highly upon education. Personally I was not impressed with the education requirements that my school had. Hardly anything to get in (I had a good amount of experience but most didn't) The whole thing took under a year to get done. Its hard to expect to have respect and pay with such little education requirements.

Oh and on the EMT-B subject. Heres what I think. its a great place to cut your teeth in the business and also from a business stand point it is much cheaper to pay an EMT to drive than a medic.

Hope to get to know some of you and have further discussions.

and so much for the claims that all RNs in the US make big money...

41k = 19. 5 k GBP i.e. what a newly qualified RN ( with less than 6 months post basic experience ) makes before unsocials in the UK

Once again you are taking things completely out of context, and not looking at the big picture. Surely you don't believe the RN salary in Tennessee (if the quoted figures are correct) is in any way near the US average.

As I have said, no matter what State you are in (including TN) the dollar in the US will take you further than the pound will in the UK, in spite of the exchange rate. Take it from someone who has lived a long time in both countries. Don't need to repeat myself by mentioning UK fuel prices ($8 or $9 a gallon) or the price of perishables / consumables, transport, electrical goods etc. Whoops, too late. So, sticking with Tennessee, here is another example.

For a mere £75,000 in TN (less than 4 times the RN salary there if you wish) you too can own something like this

On the other hand, for an EXTRA £ 25,000 MORE, that's £100,000 (or more than 5 times the UK RN salary) you can splash out on this in the UK (might want to enlarge the pic)

That's a whopping 20 sq meters of...rubble if you weren’t counting. Still I hope they throw in the wooden pallet and the wheelbarrow. Would hate to see anyone getting ripped off.

It's the same old story, paying out a lot more for a lot less. no matter how much you want to play with figures, unsociable hours, or exchange rates, the fact remains UK nurses are poorly comensated when compaired to the US.

I'm not bragging, I am stating facts. I think it's a bloody shame, and a rip off. Perhaps though, you honestly believe UK nurses are paid their worth.

I don't!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.