How long to wait to become a Medic

I've been EMT 6 years now and Im still not ready to take Paramedic, I want to take it when im well and ready, i dont want tio be one that takes it 10 times before tehy pass it...

Sorry, but you're more likely moving towards that unwanted future than away from it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with remaining a basic. There's something wrong with remaining a basic only at the level of training and education recieved in one's EMT-B school.

Unless you pursue more education and challenge yourself to soak up information so you can think about what is *really* going on with your patients, you will remain a cookbook reading protocol technician and stagnate as a medical provider. You don't necessarily have to go to medical school or P-school; but you do have to have a willingness to learn.

Many people, once they begin learning more, hunger for the understanding that P-school often affords them and become medics. Many do not, including a friend of mine who is an EMT-B with multiple bachelor's degrees and several minors. He's very well educated; he just doesn't really want to be a medic!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

...I do not mean to sound defensive there were several good points made but it began to look like an "EMT's suck and Paramedics are the king shit" argument.

That's easy to fix. You too can be king shit! If everybody is king shit, there won't be anymore suckage to look down upon.

Nobody's trying to hold Basics down. We're trying to kick you in the pants so you can move up.

I've been EMT 6 years now and Im still not ready to take Paramedic, I want to take it when im well and ready, i dont want tio be one that takes it 10 times before tehy pass it...
If you have to take it ten times (or three times) before you pass, it's because you were doing something else wrong, not because you had 1 versus 6 or 10 years as a basic.

I think time as a basic would give you a richer experience in medic school, but isn't required since a number of people go straight to medic school.

Forward motion isn't the same as progress...

I am actually happy as an EMT.

I know people who have taken it 4 times and haven't passed yet, I don't know what there reasons are for not passing. I don't have the money or time to keep taking it, and thats the problem I have now, no time or money to do it.

My company will help im sure, but its a two year commitment, I cant promise them another 2 years, never know what the future leads.

Thanks for everybodies input.

I can understand your issue but most services I have seen will be more than happy to let someone off work for medic school (depending on the time demands). And there is grants and loans all over for medic school, just research it online, you will find something. I start medic school in Jan. and I was able to find a grant that covered a large portion of it provided by the state. Just research and you can save a ton of money