Drug memorization

If you listen to alot of music, I suggest taking your pharmco notes and record them to CDs or iPod and listen to that wherever you go.

You don't want to buy them FG, you need to make them!

You can get about a gazillion index cards for 5 bucks or so...a lot of the learning is in the making...don't cheat yourself out of it.

Dwayne

I think he meant, the actual cards, but you are right, you can get like 500 for 3 or 4$'s at staples.[web:6983591a4e]http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&productId=10660&cmArea=SEARCH[/web:6983591a4e]

I think he meant, the actual cards, but you are right, you can get like 500 for 3 or 4$'s at staples.

Yup, I meant the actual cards themselves, but with 3.45 in the bank, I am not going to be buying ANYthing for a little bir :roll:

• 2 years later...

You can get about a gazillion index cards for 5 bucks or so...a lot of the learning is in the making...don't cheat yourself out of it.

Dwayne

I think this says it all. After 15 years I'm still learning and relearning.

Snake

Edited by snakemedic

Everybody learns differently, but the way I learning pharmacology was to learn the drug classes. By understanding the way a certain class works, you then understand how, with subtle variations, all the drugs in that class work. Once you know the class, many drug classes have hints built into the generic names at least indicating the class (i.e. "olol" = beta blocker; "pril" = ACE Inhibitor). Of course, this is the way my paramedic instructor introduced the material anyways. I found it nice, because not only do you learn about the drugs you carry, but then you know about common medications your patients might be on as well. A silly example, perhaps, but one that illustrates the point - you might need to know all about Metoprolol, because you carry it, but by learning about the beta blocker class, you now also know the effects of Atenolol, or any other beta blocker that your patient is on - very useful stuff for your overall patient assessment.

I too, agree that pharmacology should be a stand alone course. The whole concept of placing a paramedic program as essentially a single class with X amount of hours, X amount of nights per week, for X amount of months, to me, is silly. I would MUCH rather see a paramedic program be put together as a degree program, with general education requirements, cognate requirements, and core requirements. Put people through Biology, Chemistry, A&P, then move on to separate Pharmacology, Cardiology, etc. classes - taught by experts in those fields. Meanwhile have your "core" classes be more of a "bringing it all together" approach that shows you how to bring everything you learned everywhere else together to be an effective health care provider, rather than trying to teach you all of this content a little at at time embedded in the overall course.

Anyhow, good luck with learning your meds!

I too, agree that pharmacology should be a stand alone course. The whole concept of placing a paramedic program as essentially a single class with X amount of hours, X amount of nights per week, for X amount of months, to me, is silly. I would MUCH rather see a paramedic program be put together as a degree program, with general education requirements, cognate requirements, and core requirements. Put people through Biology, Chemistry, A&P, then move on to separate Pharmacology, Cardiology, etc. classes - taught by experts in those fields. Meanwhile have your "core" classes be more of a "bringing it all together" approach that shows you how to bring everything you learned everywhere else together to be an effective health care provider, rather than trying to teach you all of this content a little at at time embedded in the overall course.

::light bulb moment:: My program was this way - a degree program with one semester of medical terminology, A&P and medical pharmacology on top of the education that covered those things embedded within the paramedic program. I thought they were all taught that way. :D

Put people through Biology, Chemistry, A&P, then move on to separate Pharmacology, Cardiology, etc. classes - taught by experts in those fields. Meanwhile have your "core" classes be more of a "bringing it all together" approach that shows you how to bring everything you learned everywhere else together to be an effective health care provider, rather than trying to teach you all of this content a little at at time embedded in the overall course.

I think you make a very good point that if you have seperate core blocks of knowledge say about A&P, chemistry, cardiology etc the hardest part is bringing them together into effective ambulance practice.

While not to attempt to make myself appear superior; the hardest part about learning IV cannulation for me is the physical skill of putting in the cannula while other people are 30 yards behind going "what does interstitum mean?"

As to the OP I think it's really just rote memorisation; I've read that little spiral bound book so many times I can recite it in my sleep.

Does that make a me a guideline monkey? Oh no I might as well take up practice in Los Angeles? Is Kate Waslh avaliable to be the Medical Director? Did I mention Los Angeles recently? :D

Dwayne,

I like the idea you gave! I came in here today because I'm totally frustrated. Our instructor gives us two drugs on Monday and on the next Monday, he wants us to write everything on the drug card for a test. I'm up to 6 drugs now and they're all meshing together. For instance, I mixed up the Indications for Adenosine and Atropine on my test last week and got a nice butt chewing from the Chief. (BTW, I'm not stupid, like he may think. lol) I loved the idea of envisioning the patient, symptoms, and treatment! This just may work...Thanks!!! thumbsup.gif