Are You Assisting in Innoculations ?

tniuqs

Are You Assisting in Innoculations ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Assisting with Innoculations ?

• First responders only.
    • The public in general.
    • Industrial or offshore.
    • Clinic assistance
    • Home visit
    • Not even been considered
    • Have made efforts to assit and hit a brick wall
    • I want no part.
    • other (explain)
    • I am concerned for becomming a carrier

ET ALL:

Bit of a poll may quite interesting due to a world wide event as of late, no discussion requested for opinion on a specific vaccine. The intent is that to support our vast EMS network world wide and in solidarity if we are to actually be accepted as part of the Health Care Delivery System.

Please state what Countries Provinces/States are using EMS to assist in inoculations, and PLEASE your talking to a Canadian I have no idea the PA vs PN vs NSW or NWT.

If you would please include level of i.e. PCP/ACP/CCP or EMT-B/REMT-P or Ambulance Officers ie. the level of training in USA, OZ, UK, NZ, SA, and "any others" and hello Norway, Qatar and Israel.

My intent is to clearly identify to many that have my ear that some solidarity in EMS world wide "may" exist

Just part of my under development letter:

We as Professional Health Providers called Advanced Care PARAMEDICS are a forgotten resource (in Alberta) in my humble opinion a huge error and based on some type of turf wars. Yet it appears that Ottawa EMS and our nations Capital there appears to be a double standard and is far ahead of the pack. As is the methodology in delivery of immunizations ie Sault Ste Marie Ontario and making an appointment (brilliant really) yet in Alberta we are amassing large groups of people awaiting in confined areas for long periods of time. Well, as somewhat educated Health Care provider this is one of the most effective way's of actually transmitting disease. My Grandfather a WW1 veteran and a POW and also exposed to Spanish influenza, well he himself would be shaking his head in absolute disbelief.

ONE response from the Paramedics of Canada list server site:

Hello Collegues,

Here in Ottawa PCP and ACP are giving H1N1 IM Flu shots at the following locations:

1:Paramedics at our HQ clinic (every year we do this)

2:We are working side by side with Public Health Nurses at the Public Clinics that are curently offering H1N1 Flu shots

3:In coming week - mobile clinics for Police and Fire by PCP And ACP.

cheers,

A.

Edited by EMT City Administrator
Title changed to reflect content

I believe AHS - Edmonton probably (can't confirm), City of Edmonton EMS for sure did, utilized Paramedics to immunize EMS and Fire staff against seasonal influenza. Forgotten resource, most definately. The biggest problem is what do you do when already short of staff and unable to fill staffing vacancies?

From my understanding, among the benefits of declaring an emergency at a state and national level is to remove restrictions so that first responders can indeed assist in this. I'm looking for a link, but I have been told our governor did exactly that and the language specific spelled this out.

I believe AHS - Edmonton probably (can't confirm), City of Edmonton EMS for sure did, utilized Paramedics to immunize EMS and Fire staff against seasonal influenza. Forgotten resource, most definately. The biggest problem is what do you do when already short of staff and unable to fill staffing vacancies?

Siffalass answered that ... last year yes this year :withstupid:

Perhaps if First Responders were REALLY a priority there could be far less "sick days taken" I talked with an old Union rep about 2 years ago with Edmonton ... 1/4 of staff were off work for one reason or another on a daily basis, presently in Edmonton the OT is huge !!!

I am hoping to prove with this poll and a few others sites for comparison that now being supposedly under Alberta Health Care the problem is what again ? Just look to the MTCs sitting idle and put them to work, just cost recovery only .... see where some options may be, time to think completly out of the box ... we need stats plain and simple or at least enough investigation to warrant a grant for investigation ...

Now totally off topic but worth mentioning do You know how much the Canadian government is spending to fly, run, drive, float a frigging candle across the country, oh here comes the nausea again .

Loved the Health RN at the legislature story btw.

So Do the math:

One admission (possibly preventable) to either ER visit or Floors (leave out ICU, no brainer there)compare that to the cost of one vial of vaccine (pick any one) and the cost of delivery to the door, then the cost of an anti viral or the Q8h hour return to ER for IV antibiotics.

I think there is more than one way to skin pole cats, so I dare try ... or just give me versed ...te he.

From my understanding, among the benefits of declaring an emergency at a state and national level is to remove restrictions so that first responders can indeed assist in this. I'm looking for a link, but I have been told our governor did exactly that and the language specific spelled this out.

Perfect Exactly what I need :wub:

BUT Governor of where Iceland ? j/k

Edited by tniuqs

All member services in the Kelsey Trail Health Region are assisting with H1N1 Mass Immunizations.

Those who are have to attend a 3 hour presentation from Public Health before assisting.

Only those personnel who are PCP trained or higher are being allowed to assist.

The clinics that we are attending to are open to the public, some restrictions as to whom may attend what week.

The region has a three week roll out plan starting November 9 and ending November 28.

Thanks from Saskatchewan

W.T.

Good to hear from you…and a great idea to poll the network!

Here in Manitoba we work under Medical Direction, and as such would require employer or Medical Director “approval” to participate in immunization clinics as vaccinators. That certainly isn’t a hurdle that couldn’t be easily managed if the desire were there to do so. Most if not all PCPs, and certainly all ACPs in Manitoba are certified by their Medical Director to provide intramuscular injections, so it’s a no-brainer in my view to utilize these individuals if the traditional delivery model (nurses) can’t find enough staff to accommodate the need. And I have every reason to believe they can’t. That said, however, to my knowledge no Paramedics are being used to administer immunization injections. They are being used to monitor clients following injections, and provide any medical care that may be necessary following receipt of the injection…but none are actually injecting. I look forward to hearing whatever results you’re able to gather in this regard!

E.G.

Not on Prince Edward island, just public health and at Drs clinics and some pharmacy clinics.....

P.M

Here in New Brunswick, Paramedics (PCPs) work in clinics, and provide immunizations to both Healthcare workers and the general public. There is no provision for PCPs immunizing co-workers.

Hope this helps!

T.H.

Edited by tniuqs

Voted other in the poll. We are not currently giving innoculations, but a survey went out to all the medics to guage interest and in the next few weeks it's expected that Paramedics will soon be at the public clinics. We haven't been given any more detail then that. It's unlikely we will see any medics giving the vaccine in house as the dedicated clinics for regional health care staff are this week.

Ontario

PM if you'd like specific service or more info

As yet unclear on PCP or ACP, but I'd imagine both.

We actually don't have a shortage of nurses that can give vaccinations. Many hosptials and clinics are using the ones assigned to light duty.

However, to reach more people in various areas, some Fire Stations are being considered as places to get vaccinated. Florida already has a Public Health statute in place from many years ago that allows Paramedics to be appropriately trained to do the task.

Some states don't have specific statutes for EMS but they may have recently added a Public Health law.

Here are a few updates on the CDC website.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/phlp/H1N1flu.asp

For specific info look at the section

Mass Vaccination - Legal Authority to Vaccinate

Edited by VentMedic

Toronto EMS participated in the past, not yet this year though.

I have not seen anything in any form to give an inkling that we would be participating this year. I seem to recall the nurses union having issue in recent years which may have halted assistance this year. However, based on docharris' response, I could be wrong on that reasoning.

Anyway, only "ALS" paramedics administered it in the past (Toronto level 2 [PCP with IV and some other things], and ACP/CCP)

I think in the past people were seconded to flu shot duty for a few months. It wasn't like an OT gig or something (pretty sweet though if it was).

Meh, I'm sick and tired of the news being absolutely flooded (like seriously, it's retarded) with this.

• Like 1

Meh, I'm sick and tired of the news being absolutely flooded (like seriously, it's retarded) with this.

vs-eh?

First off thanks for the response, yea if you have been reading my posts I am sick too, but not mentally just physically, the cough, headache, the nausea, the vomiting, the isolation of sequestering myself.

Well you know your RIGHT I must agree with YOU, It's is very tiring hearing of 13 dead positive from H1N1 (where my kids live in the last week) 2 kids in Ontario dead, clinics now being closed in Calgary and sorry another place in AB too, an RRT on a ventilator in Calgary, that I know on a first name basis and some of members of EMT city also too sick to even comment or post on this topic(hope your feeling better Annie) school closures in the eastern provinces, 200% increase in ER visits for Paeds in Quebec, who know's the rest of the real story in ERS across Canada. THEN far less vaccine being delivered than promised (like a third) for those that want it. Then listening to the stories of the huge line ups of pregnant mothers waiting patiently in the rain. Your own Toronto Fire Fighters saying wtf? then few Members of OUR elected Parliament whining that they don't have a "special" clinic on the "Hill" but the Edmonton Oilers and the Edmonton Eskimos (pro teams) jumping the cue, the cancellation of a kids choir for Prince Philips visit .. lets see have I missed something I bet I have .....

Instead lets use a Canadian Armed Forces 737 to fly a freaking candle from Greece, drive, skateboard, canoe, float, run over 3500 kms and more money spent on the Olympic crap that will just amount to make our taxes higher spending more money on candle than this "little" H1N1 issue for the Health in Canada .. agreed that makes me mor ill than too.

So welcome the world to visit Vancouver, funny how SARS did such a great job for public relations in TO <insert sarcasm>

So to end my rant ... EMS without solidarity or the guts to write just one letter to your MLA or MP or media asking why WE SO CALLED FRONT LINE PROFESSIONALS can't assist or why we are generally restricted, now that IS retarded beyond belief.

Well vs-eh thanks for the encouragement I needed to just try to make a difference, your comment spurs me on.

cheers

At this stage turnip we are not asssting in any way.

Having said that, following an outbreak of avian flu in south east asia a couple of years ago, it was decided that due to our proximity to asia, Ambulance could be utilised if necesarry for mass innoculations. Protocols & pharmacologies were written.

So the potential is there for us to be used, but, we are fortunate in that is is the wrongs time of year for us & we have a number of months to get organised to have them done.

Phil

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.