Online daily check lists

drdroopy15

I am the IT Director for a private ambulance service and was wondering if anyone was using online check lists anywhere and if so what were they using and some feed back. Thanks.
Dr Droopy15
-----
Sometimes God blinks. We get lucky, but... we don't know it.
From Wyatt.... Saved

The only reason why an online checklist is preferable over a paper form is that it can be saved forever and you don't have to worry about the file cabinet space needed for paper forms.

I too work in IT and I can only see that as the real benefit.

But remember, you will also have the hardware and infrastructure built already to accomodate the online form. Are you looking to include them in your toughbooks or other computers that your system already uses or are you looking to purchase all that stuff new out of the box?

I'm not sure if the OP is coming back since he had some answers on another board. It sounds like he is looking for checklists for daily vehicle and equipment checks. I'm not sure if he is looking for a program to make a checklist or if he is looking to develop a checklist for his service. If it is the second, any service in NYS should be able to help. NYS Part 800 regulations pretty much set out a comprehensive set of what should be minimum on an ambulance. Most services have a checklist form of those requirements that should be pretty easy to reproduce.

Oh, looky what I found. Here is a checklist from the DOH (sorry for the excitement, the google search set off some nostalgia).

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/9814.pdf

Ruff: it's saved in the great server farm in the sky until a drive goes bad or someone hits the wrong command exe and then it's all just a collection of dits & dots on a platter somewhere.

I don't put a lot of faith in folks that need to read a checklist to make sure they have checked their ambulance.

Airline pilots using checklist sure

space shuttle launch certainly

Taxi drivers needing a list to count bandages??? not so much

Worked for a place where they brought trucks up from another state for large events. The transfer trucks had assigned crews every day. To cut down on their hectic workload of renal wrangling ::: they had a seal tag on every compartment & cabinet to know if anything had gotten used. First thing I did when getting in one of them was to pull all the seals and move a few thing around.

Worked for a place where they brought trucks up from another state for large events. The transfer trucks had assigned crews every day. To cut down on their hectic workload of renal wrangling ::: they had a seal tag on every compartment & cabinet to know if anything had gotten used. First thing I did when getting in one of them was to pull all the seals and move a few thing around.

You did something like that too?

I loved to mess with the oncoming crew, I would always take just one alcohol wipe out and see if they caught it. Or I set up my own IV set up kit, full IV start kit and wrapped a tourniquet around it, then put it on the bench seat, it had all I needed. The oncoming crew would see the extra items and they would put in the checklist that there were extra items. Drove the crews bonkers that there was extra stuff, especially a couple of the aNAL medics. They said it affected patient care if there was too few or too many alcohol wipes or too many iv catheters. I just laughed at them. If patient care suffered because of one too few alcohol wipes then they were using too many freaking alcohol wipes.

Anywho, I do like the seal idea, I check the compartment and if it's fully stocked, I put a seal on.

I don't put a lot of faith in folks that need to read a checklist to make sure they have checked their ambulance.

In NYS you were required to have what is on the checklist otherwise if you got stopped by the DOH and inspected and you were short, it was big fines. You didn't have to do a checklist, but every company made you so that you knew you had the required equipment. Towards the end of my EMS years we started doing the tags so that it wasn't a problem. The locked cabinets would have the required equipment to meet the 800 check and then we'd have jumps bags with extra stuff that we would use first. If you broke a seal and went below the required minimum you were technically out of service and had to restock.

Ours, for my part isn't just daily, but after every run, whether once or 8 times a day. Its several things but consists of checking some things like :

O2 psi in the tanks on board, on the cot and in the respir bag

Running a user check on the defib

Checking the lock and writing the number for the medic drug bag making sure it is intact

Checking any equipment used and replacing supplies used on the run

Sanitizing bp cuff, hand rails, pulse ox , clip board and all hard surfaces

Remaking the cot etc etc.

The driver does the truck stuff

Our state has minimum requirements also.

However I have always kept way more consumable items than the minimums on the truck. I do't have the 6 abdominal pads required, I have twenty in the cabinet as thats what fits easily . 2x2's 4x4's are stoked by the box and there are back up supplies in the jump bag and at the station.

I stock 10 < / > less each of cannulas , nrb's & neb masks that are 2 ea minimum, same goes for almost every consumable we carry.

You can glance at a cabinet and see if something needs restocking as it's not full.

Drug boxes are sealed from hospital and swapped out after use so they are all the same contents no matter which hospital you swap out at.

Narcs are state required amounts and kept in drug safe with log for use /exchange.

The state inspector shows up once a year and just does a walk through knowing we have way more than the minimum required , checks the drug logs and peeks through the IV box looking for anything expired. It's a game. Always leave an expired 16 ga or 2 for them to find. Still have above the minimums on the truck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.