Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Prayers Requested for "Momma B":

34 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Prayers requested: My mother, Sara Berger, usually referred to here in EMT City, as "Momma B",was taken from the Sutton Gardens Assisted Living Center, Flushing, NY, to the Flushing Hospital at about 6:45 PM.

As of the time of this posting, I have no further information.

Richard C. Berger,

AKA Richard B, the EMT.

Posted · Report post

Fuzzy thoughts buddy.

Posted · Report post

"Momma B" is in my prayers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Update: "Momma B" has been moved to a cardiac monitoring floor at the Flushing Hospital. Per what they've told me, she has a heart rate of 58.

Earlier this month, when she fell at the assisted living center, she had been hospitalized at the New York Hospital of Queens (Division of NY Presbyterian Hospital), also on a monitoring floor, where she apparently also exhibited bradycardia. Perhaps a pacemaker will help?

Next update should be this evening. Thanks for any and all prayers.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Posted · Report post

My Gmother lived for years with a heart rate in the 30s and low 40s. Keep strong buddy.

Posted · Report post

Hope all turns out well.

Posted · Report post

Thoughts and prayers Richard.

Posted · Report post

Thoughts and wishes to you Rich and to Momma B.

Posted · Report post

My Gmother lived for years with a heart rate in the 30s and low 40s. Keep strong buddy.

With a HR that low, how was her mental state? Possibility that the low HR here may be causing fainting.

Posted · Report post

As originally placed in Facebook, where we don't have as many EMTs or Paramedics...

Update on my mom, Sara Berger...

She is resting comfortably (I think) at Flushing Hospital. Tests continue to determine if she had a minor stroke, or is fainting due to a low heart rate (slow heartbeat, not circulating the oxygenated blood fast enough to her brain for it to function properly).

More as the information becomes available.

Posted · Report post

With a HR that low, how was her mental state? Possibility that the low HR here may be causing fainting.

Perfectly fine. She was a tiny little thing though. Took a lot for her to decompensate...her problems actually all began when they put the pacemaker in.

Posted · Report post

Thoughts for you and your Brother...

Posted · Report post

His Brother? What did I miss?

Posted · Report post

ok, how's momma B?

Posted · Report post

Momma B is still in my prayers.

Posted · Report post

Damn it...

"You and yours, Brother.."

But you knew that, didn't you??

Posted · Report post

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Posted · Report post

Update...

Mom is now in the Ocean Promenade Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center. My nephew picked up her hearing aid, batteries for same, and her glasses from the assisted living center, and brought them to her. While she physically looks better, she seems to be exhibiting aphasia, where she seems unable to find the right words. However, she also keeps trying to move unassisted, so I've engaged the services of someone to keep a "one on one" eye on her at night.

She also seems to confuse my nephew with both my brother and me, which is interesting, due to my brother being in North Dakota.

One constant is, she wants to go home. "Home" is still uninhabitable, due to no electricity, no heat, but plenty of mold on the basement rafters, and sand on the basement floor. At least there's no sheet rock or dry wall to rip out.

Posted · Report post

OK, newest update, first on my mom.

She is settling into the routines at the rehab/nursing home, but resents not being allowed to walk, being kept in a wheelchair except when in physical therapy. She's sundowning, but is somewhat her old self in the mornings.

The house:

Sand, debris, wet furniture and paper stuff removed, estimated by me to total roughly 3 tons, and taken by NYC Department of Sanitation to "Mount Trashmore", in the parking lot at Jacob Riis Park, Gateway National Recreation Area.

Wires in the basement replaced, as were the steam furnace and hot water boiler. As of the day and time of this posting, the furnace needs it's electrical controls connected. Due to the original "red tag" from the undermined foundation of the extension, awaiting my contractor"s structural engineer to advise if the wall is secure, or needs shoring up. After it's deemed secure, the gas company will reconnect the gas, I can get the furnace re-lit, heat the place up, and go home. Meanwhile 2 over matched electric space heaters keep the water pipes from freezing, and the basement and house to at least 40 degrees.

Lady J and I moved from the Montgomery, Orange County, NY "Super 8" Motel back to her house in Belle Harbor, 2 blocks from my house, on 12-02-2012. A week later, we lost half the electricity in her apartment for a week. When the power got restored, the TV cable went out, but so did the heat and hot water. We toughed it out for a week, using electric space heaters in place of the oil fired furnace, which is still being installed and connected, but gave up and went to a motel in Howard Beach, Queens County, the day before Christmas.

We wanna go home. Lady J's brother wants to go home. My mom wants to go home. Lady J's landlord and Landlady want to stay home for overnight, and snow is expected overnight, as part of a Nor'easter.

Oy Vey!

Good luck to us all!

oops, forgot: mold is mitigated, HEPA filter up and running, dehumidifier for basement awaiting furnace re-lighting before installation.

Posted · Report post

You and your family remain in my prayers. I hope you soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted · Report post

Yikes....chin up Brother...

Sending thoughts for strength and patience from the Womacks in Colorado...

Posted · Report post

Hang tough Richard. things will get better with time. Cleaning up & putting your life back together will happen eventually.

Hope your momma B is doing better.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a life of inconvenience for a while longer. I am praying that all will get better soon.

Posted · Report post

Someone wrote of me and my brother, in a typo calling me brother. No problem, as my brother Al, my sister Betty, and i still have the "Prayers and Good Thoughts" lines open. Thanks to all who wrote, and those who at least thought them without writing.

Posted · Report post

Richard- forgive my tardiness in replying. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Positive vibes being sent your way...