Canadian EMT (new to site)

J306

Well premier Brad Wall was the one who decided that it would be beneficial to have an Alberta privite air-amb service come to Saskatchewan. I am against the whole idea personally. The STARS crews to start out with anyways, will only be doing trips during day light hours and still have to work out appropriate protocols with the college before it's even a possibility of them coming here.

Right now we have protocols for the air services out of La ronge and Saskatoon, but they don't offer much of an advanced scope of practice. http://www.collegeofparamedics.sk.ca/docs/Air_Amb_Protocols_may_2011.pdf

I really do not wish to hijack your intro thread ..

Man your on the right page.

The whole idea of an operation based out of Calgary that is supposedly a not for profit show, smacks of a monopoly in delivery of health care services across western Canada . As IF Sask does not have 20 Helo operations that are FAR more cost effective and many experience's EMS Operators that would enjoy not only in providing a premier HEMS service BUT retain the 20 million in government funding within the confines of Sask as after all its not the governments money its the taxpayers. ps watch that 20 million balloon when they have had a couple years of service er do I mean a couple years to dupe the taxpayers with the big red PR machine.

Then their is the little issue of Mr Brads Walls favouritism .. did you see any RFP or Government contract tendered for HEMS anywhere .. I think there is too much going on behind those doors that the public has every right to be aware.

Day VFR in Sask .. hmmmm I guess they forgot Winter = Darkness eh ?

On to the evil twin cousin of ACoP .. they are a mirror image and are directed by your MOH .. don't think for a second that STARS SOP will not be followed any where they operate, they are above the regulatory bodies.

cheers

On to the evil twin cousin of ACoP .. they are a mirror image and are directed by your MOH .. don't think for a second that STARS SOP will not be followed any where they operate, they are above the regulatory bodies.

STARS gets around protocols/regulations by calling OLMC EVERY call. But not "our" OLMC, they have thier own!

At any rate: If you are thinking STARS, or fixed wing will be your future, SIAST is not the ACP course to take. Thier theory will not set you up for Critical care transports. You did right by taking thier PCP and building a strong foundation, now just grab an introductory A&P course such as APHY189 from SIAST, then find an accredited school with broader theory, and before you know it..... your a competent Paramedic!

Easy eh?

Hey mobey carefully what you ask for .. in ORNGE AW139 one can't do CPR in, and STARS AW 139 configuration puts it over weights .. well so says the "rhum"er mill ...and because of wt's no flights into the RAH. When the City of Edmonton shuts down YXD .. there will be no ILS glide-slope in IFR weather either .. ah I so wish I had a Royal Blue Flightsuit .

Not too worried just yet. The birds in Vancouver and Prince Rupert are Sikorsky S-76 C+ and the one currently being used out of Kamloops is a Bell 412. I actually really like the 412 for the area. I personally have had them land a number of places I wouldn't be comfortable having either the S-76 or an AW139 set down.

rock shoes: .. I cant wait for the day your on one of any of these fling wingers .. I know you will raise the current standards in delivery of care in BC .. next time you visit I have a couple of bedside TnK for your kit's gratis from Arcticat !

mobey: It appears the link to the ORNGE "difficulty" in their config for CPR has vanished off the inter net .. weird eh ?

STARS stars in Regina in April and sounds like sept in Saskatoon. TBH the SIAST ACP program isn't that great, they just haven't kept up with the new protocols. Nice to see another northern reserve attendant here (see big white taxi driver) And never mind squint, he likes to stir the pot.... his way of providing food for thought

Welcome!

STARS stars in Regina in April and sounds like sept in Saskatoon. TBH the SIAST ACP program isn't that great, they just haven't kept up with the new protocols.

Not to mention the NOCP's !!

No school should be teaching to protocol!

BTW: Take the new MFI course at SCEMTS, I helped develop the program and made the ppt.

Ahem you mean "guidelines" right Mobster ?

STARS yes the new monopoly private HEMS service for Western Canada with a lotteries licence to print money, and tax free NOW with the last C 185 crash are doing SAR work wtf is CAF and "our" just one of the 16 SAR CAF Cormorants that can actuarial do vertical "Rescue" ?

Not stirring the pot in the slightest, just calling the way it is actually is, but if the Provincial governments are going to give 20 years "rights to contract" one would believe (like any other Government contract) that an RFP (i.e Requisition for Proposal) should in all fairness be tendered to all the other cost effective Helocopter operators heck maybe even one that is exclsive to that province .. maybe Canadian helos (btw the 4 largest feet of Helicopters WORLD WIDE including all World military Hel fleets) This is offloading the costs of Health Care Delivery to the public .. way to go AB PC .. more pass the buck under the auspice of 1- "the golden hour farce" ands "STARS saves lives" oddly the dedicated fixed wing KA 200s (12 operate daily) out of 8 bases around the province are just doing "transfers" with a ratio of 7:1 <cough>

cheers

cheers

Fixed wing ambulance presents themselves as an extension of ground ambulance. We have no one to blame but ourselves

STARS "sell" themselves as lifesaving hero's much like Fire, and they reap the rewards of that. We too have the same option but CHOOSE not too.

Here we are back to the problem of needing an association to represent us .

• Like 1

Fixed wing ambulance presents themselves as an extension of ground ambulance. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Yes and No .. the contracted fixed wing do no where near have the same "PR" budgets, and AHS controls all and any release of information.

STARS "sell" themselves as lifesaving hero's much like Fire, and they reap the rewards of that. We too have the same option but CHOOSE not too.

​Yes we choose to not (as a group) to be anything other than apathetic ... that said .... SOME those that voice opinions contrary to the present governments --> direction are black balled or worse.

Here we are back to the problem of needing an association to represent us .

Agreed, but we did have an association, but were by-law'ed out of existence in our so called "self governing body" I was there on that day ... and maybe 20 others that saw the writing on the wall under and I quote "Just in house tiding up of the old by-laws" .. er sweeping the dust under a rug giving the non elected powers that be complete control.

That said: I am not a hater of HEMS in this province, many of the folks I know and love fly in the Blood Clot but the total control by an non public entity ??? in a "Public Health care system" this is a DIRECT RESULT of the Provincial Conservatives intentionality offloading costs to the public, loto funds, calendar and ring sales and a begging the oil companies for donations (very frequently under false pretences that STARS will save you when your 300 kms from a centralized base, that in a BK 117 that flys at 130 kts. just do the math) .. then the PC in the same breath tell us how great they are at preserving "Public Delivery of Health Care'.

What is completely shocking that Saskatchewan ..where Tommy Douglas is considered a saviour, well Mr. Brad Wall hang your head in shame ... not only offloading costs but unfair / illegal tendering of contacts behind closed doors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.