Canadian EMT (new to site)

J306

Hello everybody,

My name is Jack I'm a primary care paramedic in Saskatchewan. After graduation I got a job in a northern reservation community where I got many good trauma, obstetrical, and medical calls. I have now moved to a rural community in the southern part of the province where I plan to gain more experience and knowledge before returning to school to get my ACP training.

I recently got my First Aid/CPR Instructor designation and will teaching my first class in the next couple weeks!

Welcome Stubble Jumper !

ps go directly to SIAST .. you do not need PCP experience to become an ACP.

Edited by tniuqs

You do need to be a PCP for a year to go to ACP School.

1) Yes one year is required by the school, but that is the ONLY reason to wait.

2) Consider your future, if you are thinking of working between provinces consider a different program

3) Consider your career, if you are thinking any CCT work may be in your future, consider a different program.

I have about a year and a half experience, attended over 200 calls last year and have applied for the ACP program at SIAST and now just waiting to hear back from them. In Saskatchewan we have a very limited scope of practice as PCP's which is why I wanted to advance my training ASAP!

1) Yes one year is required by the school, but that is the ONLY reason to wait.

2) Consider your future, if you are thinking of working between provinces consider a different program

3) Consider your career, if you are thinking any CCT work may be in your future, consider a different program.

I have actually put a lot of thought into working in either Ontario or Alberta out once I'm finished the program... Considered applying for the ACP program out of Medicine Hat college then doing my Bachelor of Applied Science-Paramedic right after..Saskatchewan just recently got STARS in Saskatoon, so I foresee a CCT/CCP program will soon be offered..So many options, so little time!

Mobey he said the 5 letter swear word ! The so called "not for profit" private HEMS operation in Saskatchewan the homeland of Tommy Douglas ? Lord give me strength ! I was really enjoying your post until the STARS word appeared .. man don't set your sights so LOW !

So Is STARS actually operational in Saskabush already ? I heard there was a bit of confusion with them being awarded a contract against the SK Purchasing Act ? especially when there ARE other viable SK based operations and far more cost effective ..instead of the begging that STARS does in lotto funding and corporate oil patch "handouts"

http://www.canlii.or...4-c-p-49.1.html

ps Stubble Jumper the "STARS CCP program" is not yet recognised prvincially let alone nationally, but when your operations budget for 3 BK 117 is 48 + Million dollars I guess you can buy anything you wish eh ?

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I have actually put a lot of thought into working in either Ontario or Alberta out once I'm finished the program... Considered applying for the ACP program out of Medicine Hat college then doing my Bachelor of Applied Science-Paramedic right after..Saskatchewan just recently got STARS in Saskatoon, so I foresee a CCT/CCP program will soon be offered..So many options, so little time!

Just so you’re aware the only two provinces with CCP programs either registered for accreditation or currently accredited by the CMA are BC and Ontario. In BC the program is completely in house through the BC Ambulance Service. In Ontario it’s run by ORNGE. ORNGE has current 6-year accreditation. The BC programs (both Infant Transport Team and CCP) are both registered for accreditation.

http://www.cma.ca/index.php/ci_id/50602/la_id/1.htm

The STARS academy doesn’t teach you to do anything that isn’t already in the Alberta EMT-P scope. The only thing it does is attempt to “round out” the knowledge base to best apply that SOP. How effective it is I have no idea. Let’s just say I’m not the organisation’s biggest fan (not that I wouldn’t mind trying out the new AW139 whirly bird).

The Bachelor of Applied Science deal out of Medicine Hat College is essentially high priced ass wipe to be frank. You’re better off going to an EMT-P program with transferrable credits like NAIT and completing a Bachelor of Health Science through somewhere like Thompson Rivers University or Athabasca. Believe me a BHSC from a university over a college makes a huge difference.

I can tell from your first postings that you are enthusiastic, education oriented and professionally minded. I think you will be a great asset. Welcome to the site.

That's because if he stands on a chair he can see from Alberta easily, of he gets a ladder he can see Ontario too. (old SK joke)

Let’s just say I’m not the organisation’s biggest fan (not that I wouldn’t mind trying out the new AW139 whirly bird).

Hey mobey carefully what you ask for .. in ORNGE AW139 one can't do CPR in, and STARS AW 139 configuration puts it over weights .. well so says the "rhum"er mill ...and because of wt's no flights into the RAH. When the City of Edmonton shuts down YXD .. there will be no ILS glide-slope in IFR weather either .. ah I so wish I had a Royal Blue Flightsuit .

This is the bird they should have chosen and its built in North America too !

http://www.bellhelic...ab=features-tab

http://www.bellhelic...1148327697.html

The SK government would have been WAY WAY Smarter to go with the 412 .. Utility bird, Fire Fighting bucketing, Police support with dedicated Paramedic Crew chiefs .. well you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink I guess .

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en_US/Commercial/Bell412/1291148368641.html#/?tab=features-tab

Just think about it with current events in AB the Lethbridge Hurricaine wind driven fires 2 days ago, the Slave lake burn the town down +++ .. I will never understand how the "offload of costs" of Health Care to the public in tax free lotto's and calendar door knocking sales is the Canadian way ?

Dear Tommy D. .. some of us REALLY try hard to be the good shepherds, just sorry but no one is listening.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.