HI ALL, NEW FROM TULSA

sutures

JUST FINISHED EMT-B CLASS, NREMT TEST HOPEFULLY IN THE NEXT 7-10 DAYS. THIS HAS BEEN A TOTAL MID-LIFE CAREER CHANGE FOR ME AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CHALLENGES THAT ARE AHEAD. I AM ALMOST 50 YRS OLD, TALKED TO AS MANY PEOPLE IN THE FIELD OF EMS AS I COULD BEFORE I STARTED CLASS. WHILE I DID WELL IN THE CLASS ROOM AND THE PRACTICALS I REALIZE THERE IS NO TEST MORE IMPORTANT THAN HANDS-ON EXP. IN THE REAL WORLD. ANY THOUGHTS OR ADVICE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU. BE SAFE.

• Like 1

First off, welcome to both the profession, and to EMT City. I started the field at age 19, and am now semiretired, at age 57. I have to tell you, I miss the view of the world through that big picture window...with the steering wheel in front of it.

A quick comment, however: WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Thanks for the welcome, and the pointers!

Anyone have some learning curve advice? I did 44 hrs. of clinicals for class, can someone tell me if that is any where close to what i need? Should i do more on my own?

Thanks in advance, be safe. Brett

Thanks for the welcome, and the pointers!

Anyone have some learning curve advice? I did 44 hrs. of clinicals for class, can someone tell me if that is any where close to what i need? Should i do more on my own?

Thanks in advance, be safe. Brett

Hey Brett, Welcome to the City!

That is more than most do, clinical wise, and and more than you need for test prep. What you really need is about 15 years of full time clinicals...grin..but you have to pay to play that game. There's a lot of experience here man, Richard...he's...like...90 now I think, started pushing his patients to the hospital in wheelbarrows, and me, 24 and hard bodied, just beginning our virgin medic careers. Nothing to be afraid of.

Don't freak out on the test. Every question is A,B,C, every, every, every, single one. Don't stray from that without good reason.

Jump in here brother, you get almost nothing out of this site without hanging your ass out and being brave enough to ask questions, (like you've done, kudos!) and even more important, debate all of the topics that you believe that you can.

I look forward to your thoughts...

Dwayne

Dwayne, thanks for the test advice. My instructor has said pretty much the same thing, think A,B,C's. we a FISDAP test here, if your not familiar with it, it"s basicly a 200 ? pre-test for the NREMT. I made a 76 on it, my instructor said that gives me a better than 90% chance of passing, hopefully. Really not too worried though, the practicals were what i was stressing about, glad that's over. Man, i'm just ready to get puked on or deliver a baby or a set of twins, you know something cool like that!! The" patient in the wheelbarroow" thing was really funny, Bud Light shot out my nose when i read that. Thanks again Dwayne, be safe Brett

• 1 month later...

JUST FINISHED EMT-B CLASS, NREMT TEST HOPEFULLY IN THE NEXT 7-10 DAYS. THIS HAS BEEN A TOTAL MID-LIFE CAREER CHANGE FOR ME AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CHALLENGES THAT ARE AHEAD. I AM ALMOST 50 YRS OLD, TALKED TO AS MANY PEOPLE IN THE FIELD OF EMS AS I COULD BEFORE I STARTED CLASS. WHILE I DID WELL IN THE CLASS ROOM AND THE PRACTICALS I REALIZE THERE IS NO TEST MORE IMPORTANT THAN HANDS-ON EXP. IN THE REAL WORLD. ANY THOUGHTS OR ADVICE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU. BE SAFE.

Congratulations on the career change. I am 44 and kinda doing the same thing. I wonder how the job market works for guys our age. What have your experiences been so far?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.