Whats in an Age? An Opinion: Open for Discussion

Christopher.Collins

While responding to another post I mentioned a leutenant in my old department being only 19 years old. So I ask you all, my peers what difference if any age makes. Should a 19 year old be able to command a vehicle and group of people, even if they know them back to front, suit to nuts? For that matter, if an insurance company permits it (and there are plenty in Connecticut), should anyone under the age of 21 be able to drive an apparatus? Ambulances, fire trucks... etc.

Think about it... you cant legally take Firefighter-1 untill your 18. Even if your just a sponge for knowledge and learning (theory and practical) could you possibly be ready to have the responsability of an officer? In that one year between the ages of 18 and 19 you may see just one fire... and even if you get alot of wrecks or medicals they may not be serious enough to call for hard core leadership. The same holds true for EMTs, though you can take it at age 16, your still not on your own untill 18.

In regards to driving. As laws tighten more around teen aged drivers in the State of Connecticut, it is starting to become easier to just get your license at the age of 18. In my humble opinion an 18 year old is an inexperienced driver, even if they've been driving since 16. With talks and arguments of lowering the states drinking age to 18, one of the key arguments is that inexperience drivers shouldnt be mixed with inexperienced drinkers. I for one see no reason why inexperienced drivers should be given lights and sirens either.

Now... age in iteself is not the issue, but age restrictions on what you can and cant do up untill your 18 is. There are many people teens and adults alike who are fast learners and there are many who are slow. But is a years worth of experience honestly enough to be a leader in such a dangerous proffesion? I dont mean a "follow me" or "take you under my wing" leader, I mean a line officer. Back to driving is 1-2 years of really enough to throw someone on the road with lights and sirens? In fairness Ill ask the same question regarding a 34 year old who just got their drivers license for the first time.

I dont doubt that someone lacking true experience can be a worthy asset by any means. Ive had junior firefighters and EMS explorers (MRT certified) that I would rely on more so than some senior "experienced" members. But lines need to be drawn.

There are plenty of short handed fire and EMS agencies out there today... some just itching to get bodies in, even if the pulse is faint. A quality that can be fatal.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My immediate answer would be no, just because of the experience factor, especially in a small or rural department where critical calls are not an everyday event. I am sure the young lad is very talented, and may be very book smart, but there are some calls you only get every 5-10 years in EMS, and I doubt he has seen "everything" yet. To be in a position of command, he has to be able to handle every situation that could occur. With that being said, I see no problem with a department having a leadership training program that allows the under 21 crowd to train for that future position.

But if he has had leadership training, and is the best the department has to offer, then so be it.

Many professional services insurance requires the age to be at least 21 to 23 for employment; so kids are not usually placed in charge.

R/r 911

Actually they can get insured but the service pays more. So by allowing younger equipment operators they are taking money that could go for a pay raise.

The FD I used to work for did something along those lines...we had hired several "new" people (some had been with us previously, and went to other departments, but they decided to come back) as probationary FF's. Then, within a year, one was promoted to captain, not even having finished his probie year. Now...this guy (I'm friends with him) was very qualified and good at his job. He's been in fire service for around 10 years or so and really knows his stuff. Most of the field people, while happy with WHO got it, were pissed HOW he got it. It boiled down to, he was hired as a probie, and hadn't even finished the probie year and promoted around 3 or 4 other people who had been there at the dept. around 4-5 years (not including past experience) and had already completed all the classes for captain. And, before anyone thinks, well they just didn't know their stuff-they did (do). Aside from personality issues I had with a couple of them, their skills and knowledge base were all quite good. (Un)fortunately, it did backfire on the department, and this guy realized (again) how screwed up our management was and left again...for ah, "greener" pastures shall we say, where he's now either a Lt or Capt. and doing well.

AT 19, I don't think so. He may know all about the rig, the book learnin', be able to operate it efficiently. But you've got to have the experience. There's too many 'what if's" that's not covered in any book. And he might have the right answers, but being put into a situation that is not a everyday occurence, is he going to freeze? Find out that the book didn't cover it?

Not only that, but what about the men below him? If he's got trouble with his crew, is he going to be able to get things worked out? Or is he going to pass it on to a Capt?

There was a big hub-bub at my Dept.when a 33yr. old made Capt. There were guys that had been on the Dept. longer than he was alive. He jumped over them somehow. Luckily he could handle it and eventually became Chief in another town.

My experience with the Marines showed me that 19 year olds can command small groups of fire team or squad size quite well. Of course they are commanding in a defined structure to a group of well trained highly motivated people who haven't "Been doin' this here since you were in diapers...and I knew your Grandpa..."

We really don’t have many young volunteers in my fire service, about four under the age of 25. All the officers have been in the services for years and have to meet a certain criteria in regards to training and callouts.

On some calls the officer will let us be the team leader or incident controller but there always right beside us, ready to take the reins if needed and answer any questions we may have. The sort of calls were they let the newbie’s run the show are calls that have a low risk potential i.e. smoldering log fire, single tree fire in the middle of a dirt paddock ect. We would never be allowed to have any form of leadership role in a house fire, MVA, hazmat, wildfire or anything to extreme, which is fair enough.

Were not allowed to drive any appliances under operational conditions until we have our truck license, completed the EVS course and maybe even the 4X4 course. You can’t get your truck license until your 21 anyway. When you turn 19 they will let you drive the support vehicle (holden rodeo) in non operational conditions (fire equipment maintenance, communications training, fundraising, PR ect)