• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Room 1:

Come check out the updated chat room.  Any member can use the chat.  Just click the "Chat Room" menu item.

Photo

EMS Interview Questions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BEorP

BEorP
  • Elite Members
  • 845 posts
Good

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

Interview season has begun in Ontario for many services so I thought it might be good to have some sample interview questions posted (not just for Ontarians, but anyone applying to EMS). There were two other threads relating to interviewing that I found, but neither focused on questions you should be ready for (see the other threads for what not to do and how to talk about your weakness). I will start if off with a few but please add more.

Why do you want to be a paramedic?
Why do you want to work for our service?
What do you have to offer our service?
What is your best quality?
What is your worst quality?
Your partner comes to work drunk, what do you do?
What are some of the challenges facing the health system in _______?

#2 gaelicfirefighter

gaelicfirefighter
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:My Kids (4)
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

If I were to interview medics and emt's (im an emt) I would not ask generic questions as most people answer safe or answer what you want to hear. I would strictly ask scenario based questions and see if they fit in with my specific department's protocols or philosophy.

#3 scratrat

scratrat
  • Members
  • 411 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

As a comedian once said :
I like to bring a book a read during the interview. When he asks me what the hell are you doing, I say this.

If you are in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light, and you turn the headlights on, would anything happen?

When his reply was "I don't know..", I said "Then I don't think I can work for you."

#4 jbullfrog09

jbullfrog09
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:outdoor activities
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

we use a mix of scenario and the generic questions.

throwing in "what are the indications of using glucose?" gets people thinking and i generally get more honest answers when they use their skills.
however, if you have to prompt them on the basic skills, you have to consider if this person will be a liability, how well can they perform there other skills, and will they be able to follow state and organizational protocols. also, skill assessment can give you an idea of how much training this person will need to perform at the level of quality you company expects out of your employees. ( 1 week, 2 weeks, or even a month)

also, during the hiring process you need to ask opinion questions were there is no right or wrong answer. this should give you an idea of a persons social skills, bed side manners, and fellow employee compatibility. no matter how good an EMT-B or EMT-P at there assessment skills they still need to get along with facility representatives, their patients, and especially their co-workers( no one wants to work with someone with a god complex. it is detrimental to company moral.)

my last tip is to ask them about there future. most will get there certifications or license and stop with furthering there education. but the others that continue to educate them selves to benefit there patient care or to benefit the company (leadership/management classes) or other college to benefit themselves.
do they plan on enrolling in a retirement program with or with out the company?
are they willing to handle more responsibility in a few months?
all these will help indicate to you weather or not they will stay or use the company as a stepping stone in there careerer

#5 firedoc5

firedoc5

EMTCity Old Guard

• Elite Members
  • 2,895 posts
  • Interests:To teach those who need taught, guide those that need guidance, and to make fun of them along the way.
  • Occupation:Firefighter II, Paramedic, ACLS Inst., MICN Trainer, HazMat Responder, Emerg. Rescue Tech,
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

This got me thinking. I use to come up with some great interview type of questions, now I'm more or less drawing a blank. Guess it's been so long since I've even though about it I forgot how to think.
Give me a little while, maybe I can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users