Advice for newly hired emt-b

Is there any advice that anyone can give for and emt just starting to work in the field?

Yes.

Read the EMT City forums carefully and often. :wink:

Go out every day and attempt to learn something that you did not know before. Endeavor to be a better, more educated provider. Treat every patient with respect, no matter how much of a dirt bag they may be. Realise that you have just barely scratched the surface of emergency medicine and don't ever think that you've got it down. If this is going to be your career of choice, start checking out medic schools so that eventually you'll be able to provide your patients with much more thorough and effective treatment.

Just my 2 cents....

Thanks that is a really good way to look at it. Admitingly I know almost nothing about the EMS so everyday will be a new experience for me.

Seriiously man, there is nothing in the EMS world that is not known and discussed here at EMT City. There simply is no better source out there. Everyday, I find subjects being discussed elsewhere as if they are earthshattering revelations when we have already been discussing them here for a couple of years. There is no question you will have that hasn't already been addressed here. Get you a case of Red Bull and some nacho chips, strip down to your underwear, kick back in bed with your laptop, and start reading. Start in the "Students" forum first (or the Forum Rules, if you haven't already), then just work your way around. Don't hesitate to jump in, but remember, there is such a thing as a stupid question here. It's the question you ask without first using the search function to find previous discussions of the same question. Got a specific question? Plug it into the search box and go for it. You'll be amazed at how much useful information you will find without having to post a question and wait three days for replies.

First question: What exactly do you mean by "language barrier?" Are you talking about medical terminology, or what?

And are you looking to become an EMT and get a job, or are you already an EMT looking for a job, or are you already an EMT and already working at your first job? This can help us better guide you without covering a lot of material you don't need.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.