Anyone do medical coverage for sports events?

reaper

I don't think sports events require the attention of paramedics and a rig. Why not send out CFRs under the supervision of an EMT. Each can carry a radio and a BLS bag, and if it gets over their head, they can radio for a rig while providing BLS treatment on the patient.

sadly Shane, many EMS and health care Professionals do not share your view, and it;s backed up by horrid little annoyances such as local authority safety certificates, and National Governing body rules which mandate the presence of Ambulances, Ambulance crew and other health professionals ...

also in a tax funded system why should local tax payers subsidise the provision of Ambulance cover for a profit making venture?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly Shane, many EMS and health care Professionals do not share your view, and it;s backed up by horrid little annoyances such as local authority safety certificates, and National Governing body rules which mandate the presence of Ambulances, Ambulance crew and other health professionals ...

also in a tax funded system why should local tax payers subsidise the provision of Ambulance cover for a profit making venture?

But as people have mentioned in some posts on this topic, in certain areas some sport events do not require medical coverage, but it is done as a favor, if you choose to call it that. Why take a rig out of service for something where you don't need a rig?

But as people have mentioned in some posts on this topic, in certain areas some sport events do not require medical coverage, but it is done as a favor, if you choose to call it that. Why take a rig out of service for something where you don't need a rig?

you made a blanket statement that sports events don't need ambulanc e cover, just some band -aid toting first aiders

do a little research into someo f the sports stadium disasters within the last 20 -25 years in the western world , then tell me you don't need to take sports event coverage where the crowd outnumbers the players seriously...

you made a blanket statement that sports events don't need ambulanc e cover, just some band -aid toting first aiders

do a little research into someo f the sports stadium disasters within the last 20 -25 years in the western world , then tell me you don't need to take sports event coverage where the crowd outnumbers the players seriously...

Im talking basic highschool sports events. I see what you mean, but everything differs from area to area. Where Im an explorer a rig will take a max of 7 minutes to get to anyone within its coverage zone, depending, of course, on weather, time, etc. The second rig, if it is a major event, can come right after the primary rig, or may take a little longer, because where I explore its volunteer, so some people may have to come from home. All Im saying is why waste resources for something with a remote chance of happening, of course a plan could be drawn up if something major did happen, and resources could be brought in quickly and easily. But you really need to base your coverage on what you think your going to need, which differs from highschool, to college, to pro.

Im talking basic highschool sports events. I see what you mean, but everything differs from area to area. Where Im an explorer a rig will take a max of 7 minutes to get to anyone within its coverage zone, depending, of course, on weather, time, etc. The second rig, if it is a major event, can come right after the primary rig, or may take a little longer, because where I explore its volunteer, so some people may have to come from home. All Im saying is why waste resources for something with a remote chance of happening, of course a plan could be drawn up if something major did happen, and resources could be brought in quickly and easily. But you really need to base your coverage on what you think your going to need, which differs from highschool, to college, to pro.

#1 have you even ever watched HS football? Some of those kids will out hit some of the NCAA guys I've worked

#2 you need to think outside your own little world. It may take 7 minutes where you are but where I work football games (Detroit public Schools) If we wern't there as an ambulance the avg response would be about 20-25 min on a good day as for a second rig, good luck....

#3 As was said before Sports are a money making operation (gate fees, concessions, pay to play(if the school has that rule) so why tie up your resources when they can contract someone.

• 1 month later...

Why take a rig out of service for something where you don't need a rig?

In my area, the rig isn't going to be taken out of service for a stand-by. It is either (1) In service i.e. staying at the football game, etc so long as there isn't a call for service.. or (2) Its a "special" circumstance in that a promotor (or ?) is paying for an EXTRA box and off duty personnel to man an event for a specific ammount of time and paying for the manpower hours and use of a vehicle.

• 1 month later...

I've done several sporting events. School games, IHRA drag racing, out-law and USAC dirt track car and motorcycle, pro-wrestling, Special Olympics, even bowling. But I'd say 98% of what we did were for spectators really. Whether for medical or for crash/fire/rescue, for the most part it was a blast. A doc friend of mine has done the infield care at the Indy 500 for several years. I almost got to go with him one year.

One thing I never did get to do was major music concerts. Had the chance a couple of times but didn't get to do it. :dontknow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.