violent psych patients

EMS828

My opinion on the matter is that, if its at all possible, have the police restrain the patient, and ride along in the back of the ambulance with you, that way, if they do happen to become violent while en' route to the hospital, the police officer is there to apply correct force, to restrain the patient. I've been in situations where that was needed.....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion on the matter is that, if its at all possible, have the police restrain the patient, and ride along in the back of the ambulance with you, that way, if they do happen to become violent while en' route to the hospital, the police officer is there to apply correct force, to restrain the patient. I've been in situations where that was needed.....

Ever been in a situation where that wasn't enough? Pray you aren't, but if you stay in this biz long enough, you will be. Then you'll change your opinion very quickly. If you live.

I've rarely heard of patients, even if built and on PCP, break bilteral handcuffings to mainframe of gurney during transport. And if it happens, never so suddenly that there's no time to stop the ambulance and have medical personnel jump out while officer handles and backup arrives... Think you're more likely to be in a fatal ambulance accident on a code 2 transport.

I agree if I had a patient break bilateral cuffs I would be bailing out the back to change my shorts and let PD handle it.

My brother (Deputy Sheriff) had a cuffed suspect go ballistic on them, they pepper sprayed him, he went further nuts and actually broke the cuffs. Took multiple Deputies and ASP's to get him down. My brother said it was like the pepper spray just pissed him off more. :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.