"Set Medics" & Standby work

AnthonyM83

I tried doing a search, but searches are so hard on this site since it won't find specific phrases like "set medic"...you always get dozens of returns of posts from the last few days and countless others.

ANYWAY,

Are medics or EMTs who do movie set work on here? I'm interested in being a set EMT through a company that hires and provides medics/EMTs and perhaps other standby work (college sports games, award shows, fairs, etc).

Also, some of these companies want you to provide your own equipment. What do you guys think of that? Whackerish at all? Is it normal for the industry?

Also, I've seen some ads asking for EMTs for random events and even for night clubs. These don't seem to be through a company. Is this kosher? Or do you need to have a company medical director with protocols or are your county protocols good enough?

Just looking for more info/insight in this area.

I don’t have any experience in set/movie first aid. Providing your own equipment seems a bit dodgy :? Doing independent work make sure they have insurance. Working at a night club your dealing with mostly alcohol, drugs and assault, as I’m sure you’d be well aware so be prepared to face any crap that comes your way and always take your personal safety seriously!

I don't know anything about set EMTs, but I used to work for a company that provided event coverage for conceerts, sporting events, etc. In my state, there are regulations that cover event EMS requirements based on expected attendance. In all cases I dealt with, a staffed ambulance was needed on standby and as the number of people increased, the staffing and equipment requirements increased. I assume other states would have similar regulations on public gatherings. In addition, many smaller venues that skirted under the state public gathering laws still hired a BLS ambulance to standby at their events, just to shift medical liability to an EMS agency and potentially reduced their insurance costs.

As for working independent from an EMS agency, I would ask the company or night club if they meet your state's EMS event staffing laws and if they have medical malpractice insurance that would cover you as an employee.

I don't have a problem with using your own equipment, but make sure everything is up to snuff, because that has the potential to make you liable for any equipment issues instead of the employer.

I work for a company here in MI that is special events only. We are a fully licensed ALS ambulance company that does not do 911 or transfers. We have a corprate medical director and follow all the rules the rest of them have. There pretty much isnt a type of special event we haven't done from Woodstock 94 to movie sets to NCAA sports to nightclubs and concert venues. We provide all of the equipment to people. I would consider anyone who asks me to provide my own supplies to be shady.

I have my own bag but they stocked it and re supply it so I don't have to go to the office every time I have a gig. Plus how is a pvt citizen to get O2 without an doc to sign for it much less epi pens or combi tubes without pilfering it from another job and if they expect you to do that I would quit before I started. As for nightclubs wanting someone to stand by and just be paid by the club you woould be opening yourself to HUGE liability. You are not working as part of an organization so no protocols, no medical direction. If someone sues the club will pawn it off on you and then your shorts will be in the wind.

Go with an organized company. You will be better off

I haven't worked any movie set stuff myself, but I do know people who have. Basically, I see two common situations. First, the production company just hires a local ambulance company to do it all, and they utilise their regular people and equipment. Second, the production company just directly hires an individual to do the primary medical coverage, and hires an ambulance company to have a unit standby for major and/or transport cases. This is similar to the typical sports standby, where the trainers handle all the care and the medics just assist and/or transport. I used to know a doctor who did a lot of standby stuff for the movie industry in the Dallas area, and he provided all his own stuff. Met a couple of nurses who did the same. I have heard of medics doing it like that, but never met any. That situation isn't particularly shady (although fraught with liability). But to have a middle-man contract to provide the service, then sub it to you without providing you any resources definitely sounds shady. There may be some kind of normal system in place though, where this commonly happens and the bases are covered. I can't think of how, but it's possible.

This is something I had thought I would like to investigate further as well. Like Dust, I have met some that was associated with a local EMS that contracted out. I was informed that if you were "union" that preference was to be given. Which, is why I did not pursue any further.

I thought it would be lucrative to have some medics contracted out while filming for first response and first-aid type services and then notify local EMS if needed. I am sure there are tons of OSHA and other regulatories that have to be met, but would be interesting.

R/r 911

I understand the comments about liability, but can someone please explain why an EMT would need medical direction to do a little standby first aid gig. If we are talking about an EMT-B, truly providing only BLS care, then what is the physician needed for?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.