"Set Medics" & Standby work

AnthonyM83

Well, I have done a couple of these gigs, for some very NOTABLE clients. The big ticket item is to assure that the company providing an EMT or Paramedic.

Firstly has medical direction as a potential lawsuit could become a huge event, just think about say for example Jonny Depp with a suspected C spine injury......

Secondly: Assure that you are actually provided with ALL the toys, damn hard to administer anti arrhythmic drugs when all you have is a cheap AED and no screen to view.

Thirdly: The local laws of that county, province, or even country should be well researched, as well as Medical Evacuation Plan to a chosen "pre approved" receiving Facility, many remote sites for filming have very serious logistics in an medical evac scenario, one should be prepared for confined space rescue, extraction, hi angle, water hazards wildlife and animal/actor interaction...and child actors.... as they bite too.

One may find that a tremendous amount of hand holding is essential to success, on another note the expectations of the client MAY far exceed the scope of practice of the practitioner i.e. demanding antibiotics for cough and cold, or even be a waterboy.

Some clients for example "high risk stunts" may want you to be watching every minute where others wish you to be in the wings on standby, without being seen by the Stunt guys as some are extremely superstious.

ps MOST don't pay very well, due to the one having the "privilege" of having one associated with the glitz and glamour....this is supposed to be a reward in itself ?..... meh!

here in so cali i work for Schaefer ambulance and we do alot of standbys such as x-games, fairs, show and movies, sports related, conventions(even the adult expo lol) . My partner the other day told me that he was on a standy for that movie, SWAT and using the inside of the rig as well as the crew that were on the standby. He said you could see his hands in the movie working on the woman swat officer that was shot. I have yet to do any myself, but i have heard mixed reviews. To me it seems like it would be fun.

The first question I would ask is how do you protect yourself from liability if there is a claim of negligence or inappropriate care. Even if you were vindicated of any wrongdoing the cost of litigation alone could bankrupt you. The reason I mention this is a case of negligence against a nearby ski slope which involved a skier that went off the trail and became paralyzed. He and the family sued everyone possible in spite of the fact that the damage was done before the ski patrol, fire and ems arrived. One possible solution to this might be to incorporate a small business or at least form an LLC then simply pay yourself as an employee instead of simply working as an EMT. Of course you would want to insure your LLC for whatever you could afford.

Another question is what are the risks of the set environment and what is the "worst case scenario" you should expect. Along with this ask yourself how far from Paramedic backup you will be and what level of care is prudent. With all of this in mind you will need to consult with the local EMS authority to make sure that what you intend to do is within the local laws and by consulting them before the fact you are showing respect which may pay great dividends for you in the future.

There is my two cents.................good luck

First off YES CYA, cover your ass legally, and dont talk to the reporters for the bs newstand crowd, big problems there too, look at all the fine print too.

And don't undersell yourself cause it is a KEWL GIG, don't take anything less than the going payscale, or your opening the door to whankers and degrading the proffession.

• 5 months later...

I am an EMT out in Los Angeles and have done production first aid work. A set medic in film can be anyone from an EMT-Basic to a physician, they all get called a "medic" by the rest of the film crew. Film has a lot of weird, out-of-date names that get used for everything and everyone. Getting into big budget, union work is not easy, if you do not have connections. Although, for first-aid, it is probably one of the easiest crafts to get into film with. THere are several companies that you can get from. Legally, they are only referral companies that refer jobs to you, but they treat you as working for them in regards to your relationship to the boss. Legally, you are an independent contractor. Which means you have to pay taxes on your own and have no protection from the company. Independent contractor status is not uncommon in the film/tv industry. As an independent contractor, you are expected to bring your own tools/equipment. In this industry it is the standard for almost all departments and logical because there is no way the production staff members in the office can know all the different tools needed by the many, many different departments/crafts that are part of making a film. Yes, it seems unfair, at first, to have to pay for your own stuff. The way to make up for that is you charge production a "kit fee." This is the production renting your equipment for you, by you, so they know you'll have what you need to do your job. The kit fee is only a small portion of the initial cost to buy everything (around $20-100 a week, depending upon the equipment and on the budget of the production), but in the long run evens out and allows you to replenish supplies.

I don't carry everything that would be on an ambulance. As and EMT-basic, I am limited to begin with for what I utilize. I have a jump bag with dressings, band-aids, ice-packs,ace bandages, BP cuff, etc. I also have an O2 kit, but not everyone even has that when they first get started. Some of the paramedics and people doing bigger project and higher risk projects with stunts, often have much bigger kits and bring backboards, AED, Paramedic/nurse's tools, ETC.

It is also expected to bring a kit of OTC items, including aspirin, sunscreen, etc, but as an Emt, I can't administer those OTC meds. THe way it works is that production has rented the kit from you, all you are doing is bringing the items for people to use. Make it clear to people who ask, that they are taking it at their own discretion. I have my OTC kit labeled as such. Craft services (catering) will also likely bring these items, but not guaranteed. You bringing these items is like Craft services bring food; they are not nutritionists telling you what you should eat, they just put it literally out on the table and let you choose to get it for yourself.

The vast majority of the time, you will be the only medical person on the production. You are your entire department. This means that you are solely responsible for pointing out safety issues before they happen. You better also be prepared to handle any trauma because you probably won't have a partner to turn to. Without a partner, it can get pretty boring at times. You are just sitting in the background on standby, but you can't do too much else (like take a nap or wander off) because you never know what MIGHT happen the second no one can find you. The entire point of you being there is to avoid delay in waiting for help to arrive, if they have to wait for you, they might as well get rid of you and wait for 911.

The vast majority of the time, your are providing minor care, such as band-aids and ice-packs. It can be tedious. You also have to deal with egos on set. An actor may get upset over a little abrasion because he thinks it is going to scar, but remember, actors make their living off of their appearance, so this worry is not unreasonable.

All your really doing is providing immediate care until 911 arrives. Every other industry manages without medics around. The biggest reason production companies want to pay you is to reduce their liability! If something goes wrong, people will be seeing dollar signs because they think all production companies have lots and lots of money, and they do, but they won't give it away easily. If someone sues, they producers will point at you and say "s/he's responsible! We did everything we could; we hired a medical expert!" The production company is certainly not going to carry malpractice insurance to cover you, so you better get some of your own. As and EMT-basic it cost me less than $100 a year. Like many others, I am also in the process of setting up an LLC to further insulate myself.

If you cover your ass, it's not a bag gig at all. Pays WAY better than any private ambulance company, even if you go through a referral agency to get you the jobs. I got into this job because I have done other jobs in film and I think the knowlege of how a set runs was vital to the impression I made. I knew to turn off my cell phone, even if I wasn't near audio. I knew who was who as far as people that would be making my schedule and I could follow along in conversations on set. I would advise anyone that is trying to do this to not only CYA all the medical related stuff, but to also pick up a book on film production just to get an idea of how things run.

I covered a few USAC car races and motorcycle races but didn't have any major incidents. And there were a few local ball games at the high school. One night had a gal playing basketball and hurt her head/neck. We got her packaged and was wheeling her out. The crowd started cheering. And one of the idiots we were working with turned around and took a bow. What an IDIOt. The Lt. reamed him first before anyone else of did.

And we did do a few wrestling exhibition, but since it's all "fake", they didn't need us...

For a little while I worked with a doc who was the personal physician for Sylvester Stallone when he did "Cliff Hanger". He said he was quite the wimp. :binky:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.