School

So I'm still in high school and we have all these classes that are technical classes and I have taking all of the medical classes offered. I have a clinical internship next semester at a hospital and possibly riding on a ambulance. I'm currently taking a sports medican class. I'm really good at that class I like the teacher but the thing is sometimes I question whether I'm really learning or not?

~Chas

I'm not sure if you really had a specific question in there or not. But I can understand how you might have such doubts. When you are given knowledge, but offered no real practical means to test it, you do tend to question the benefit of it all. I certainly would not let that bother you though. If EMS is really what you want to do for the rest of your life, then just give 110 percent of your efforts to studying and learning the very best you can. You will definitely get plenty of review of all that information during paramedic school. Your prior knowledge from high school will make that much easier for you. Much of it will sound very familiar, getting it for the second time around. And easy is good! Just don't let that feeling of easiness lull you into a complacency, thinking you don't have to put as much effort into it.

The summer after graduation, get right into EMT school and give it your all. Then as soon as possible -- preferably that very next semester -- get right into Paramedic school. By the time you're 20, you'll have a degree and a paramedic cert. If it takes you an extra year because of difficulty getting into a school, don't sweat it. It is not likely that a 911 EMS provider is going to hire you before age 21 anyhow, so don't be tempted by any shortcuts.

And don't volunteer. 8)

Best of luck!

Sounds like you go to a cool school. Your taking courses that give you some very basic medical education, way back when we got a brief first aid day at the beginning of the year in shop class.

I will go with Dust on his advice, get what you can out of your current classes, then go out and get your education while you are still in school mode.

medic_girl_chas, you say "I'm currently taking a sports medican class."

I am unfamiliar with the word "medican". Unless this is a misspelling, what were you saying? And don't worry too much, even with the spellcheck being available, misspellings still get through.

Case in point, the spellcheck program did not recognize the word "spellcheck" just now!

Please, please, please......

I cannot see where an apology is required. All I saw was one (1) simple type-o. Yes the spellcheck is there, and try to use it. But, last I checked it is optional. Either make the spellcheck a mandatory software program prior to posting or, let's concentrate our spellcheck focus on those clowns that really deserve it.

Ok. I voiced an opinion. Now, let's begin with slamming me....