Texas EMTs and Medics, help me out.

catmasher

I am looking for training in the katy/houston tx area and have a couple problems/questions. If any of you guys/gals work or have worked around here and could help me out, that would be fantastic.

Ok, from my understanding, houston ems is run by the fire dept. So if i want to be a 911 responder, i must be a trained firefighter as well. That is fine and does not turn me away. What i am finding though is that many of the fire/ems houses around here are volunteer. How much of Houston is unpaid? I cant afford to do this for free unfortunately (cheap, but not free). Where is a good school around here that will give me quality training.

I would like to do the paramedic route, and my plan thus far is get trained as an emt, probably work for a private/transport service for a while, and at the same time be schooling for paramedic. When i get finished with paramedic school, I am hoping that i have enough training to get hired by a 911 response unit.

Is this unreasonable, and am I approaching this correctly for my area? Where do i get the firefighting training?

While i understand that the firefighters are emts and visa versa, do they normally only perform one role primarily, rotate, or both all the time?

Hopefully i have expressed my questions well enough to get an accurate response, if not please let me know how i can be more specific.

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for those resources, some of those are new to me and look very helpful.

Education is what i am putting priority on, not getting out there and getting paid.

I stopped by 2 firestations and they said that 99% of houstons 911 response is run by fire dept. Is that false? I also found some documents detailing what must be done to operate an ambulance in houston, and found this, which makes me think he was correct.

" Per City Ordinance Chapter 4, Sec 4-9 EMS Providers are required to obtain permission

from the Houston Fire Department Dispatcher before running Emergency Lights and Sirens

within the City of Houston. "

It is very possible i am wrong. I am just making sure that once i get educated, i will be able to work. I am stuck in houston for the next few years and it would not be good if i were not able to get a paid position in 911 reponse. Honestly, i dont want to work transport for much longer than is required for me to establish a firm base in patient care, vitals, etc.

Education is what i am putting priority on, not getting out there and getting paid.

I stopped by 2 firestations and they said that 99% of houstons 911 response is run by fire dept. Is that false? I also found some documents detailing what must be done to operate an ambulance in houston, and found this, which makes me think he was correct.

" Per City Ordinance Chapter 4, Sec 4-9 EMS Providers are required to obtain permission

from the Houston Fire Department Dispatcher before running Emergency Lights and Sirens

within the City of Houston. "

It is very possible i am wrong. I am just making sure that once i get educated, i will be able to work. I am stuck in houston for the next few years and it would not be good if i were not able to get a paid position in 911 reponse. Honestly, i dont want to work transport for much longer than is required for me to establish a firm base in patient care, vitals, etc.

You should look at some of the outskirt towns. Please don't say it's to far to drive. I drive 3 hours each way to work at my second service, which may soon become my fulltime service. Again focus on quality education. Look around at Angleton, Freeport, etc. Drive a little and find a good service. Please don't go Fire if you want to do EMS.

If you have time, could you please explain why you feel 1 person should not be trained for both? I will also search the forum, I am just curious on your own personal view as well.

My view has been posted often as you'll see in a search.

But in a nut shell, you have to be devoted to do either well. You will end up neglecting one or both. The scriptures talk about not slaving for 2 Gods, same principle applys. Do one or the other and be the best at which ever one you choose.

I do not blame you for looking at a big city fire service, usually good pay and benefits.

This topic has been beaten to death, but i'll rehash it in one sentance.

"Very few fire departments run a quality EMS system." an EMS consulting firm circa 1989 NYC. Talking about the prospect of FDNT taking over EMS. (11 + years later, they haven't fixed a thing.

The bottom line is FD's use it to hire more personnel and get more funding, and save FF jobs.

good luck in your search.

check out Baytown EMS. 3rd service under the health department. TMRS retirement, good benefits. no transfers, you take trauma straight to the medical center, at least we did in 99 when I left. Another is Harris County ESD #1. they pay really well. LaPorte EMS is part of the fire dept., I think, maybe a civilian division of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!!! The areas these guys are telling you to look are extremely far from Katy. There are several 9-1-1 ambulance service that you could work for as an EMT and then move on to Medic. Try Cyfair EMS and Cypress Creek EMS. Also, since you are in Katy you could even try Sealy, I think that is Austin Co EMS main office in Belleville. You could even look at Washington Co EMS in Brenham. I have also been told that the EMS service in Tomball is pretty good. Have you found a EMT class? I know that Cypress Creek EMS puts on a pretty good class, Cyfair College, and the best (in my opinion) is TEEX in College Station. The director at TEEX is Don Royder and if you want the number just shoot me an message.

I now live in Missouri but moved here from the Hwy 290/Hwy 6 area and I worked for Cyfair EMS for a time and for Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center in the ER for 2 1/2 yrs. So if you have any questions about just about anything in that area let me know. My brother is also a Sgt with Harris Co. Sheriffs Department

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.