No trained paramedics

ratel

Now, I don't now how true this is, But I had a doctor from South Africa tell me that ambulances there don't pick up just one patient, they will respond 3 or 4 calls until the back of the unit is full and then dump them all in the ER.

Now, I don't now how true this is, But I had a doctor from South Africa tell me that ambulances there don't pick up just one patient, they will respond 3 or 4 calls until the back of the unit is full and then dump them all in the ER.

And whats the problem? We are forced to do that all to often. In a perfect world 1 ambulance 1 patient. In the real rural world we're it. At times a crowded ambulance is better than no ambulance. Recently I had a cardiac patient, a premature labor with massive blood loss, and a dog bite victim all in the back. We did meet mutual aid 30 miles north and rearranged patients. But yes I would prefer 1 patient per ambulance. Now we don't wait around till full. But if we get another call while still in the area we respond.

I'm sure this is a no brainer, but I'd like to know how South African EMS has changed since 1994.

I'm guessing it was a pretty good system before then, considering the advanced educational standards that still exist.

Good post Ratel

I thought twice about getting involved in this one, as the current situation in South Africa depresses me, however – I feel that I could probably shed some light, having grown up in the South African EMS system.

The EMS is split up into the government system and the private system (in which there are two major players). The usual setup is to run an ambulance with one BLS provider and one ILS provider, with the ALS Paramedic alone in a response car – however this does change from area to area. The article posted relates to the government system only and is pretty much spot on. The Northern province is, by area, the largest province, but is nowhere near the largest by population – it is mostly rural. Private ambulance services operate in this area and thus there are ALS paramedics there. In all major provinces, the government ambulances do end up transporting a lot more than one patient at a time – unless they are a priority 1 pt. This is largely due to the huge amount of patients needing assistance coupled with a shortage of paramedics. However, due to poor public education, the EMS is forced to transport patients that have absolutely no medical need for an ambulance. The public call for ambulances to transport them to clinics and hospitals for general appointments. It has gone so far that they have realised if they tell the call taker that they cannot breathe, the ambulance will come sooner. There is a problem trying to retain paramedics in South Africa – especially in the rural areas – things such as poor working conditions and low salaries are major factors here. It is due to all of this that I am in full support of private ambulance services operating in South Africa.

On the other hand, this environment is a great place for keen EMT’s and Paramedics to gain a massive amount of experience in very short spaces of time – there are very few other places where paramedics get to put their skills into practice so regularly. I can tell you loads of horror stories, but plenty of good one’s too

I hope this provides a better view.

Thanks, but again, how have things changed since 1994? Or have they?

What are the current educational standards for the different levels, and how easy is it to find a place to get them?

Sorry Dust,

In the past, most training was done via in service short courses. Then came the choice to study the diploma and Btech through a technical university - giving us the choice of which route to follow. The current movement is away from all short courses except the basic life support. Reasons for this are due to higher levels of education and better controls.

Things have seemed to relax since 1994, with more people slipping through the system and less money getting to where it should be getting.

. However, due to poor public education, the EMS is forced to transport patients that have absolutely no medical need for an ambulance. The public call for ambulances to transport them to clinics and hospitals for general appointments. It has gone so far that they have realised if they tell the call taker that they cannot breathe, the ambulance will come sooner.

WOW, so ya'll have the same EMS system that we in the USA have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.