Asking medics questions

DwayneEMTP

This was brought to mind from some of the responses to Dust's "Dual Medic" thread.

I can see the frustration from being questioned by lower level providers coming from the medics, yet I'm pretty sure that I've never asked a question to a medic, unless completely vanilla, that wasn't assumed to be a challenge instead of a question.

Hopefully my history of posts will put to rest any questions of whether or not this is due to my attitude, need to be right, thinking I'm smarter than the medics, having 'chip on my shoulder' etc.

I didn't find this so much in the hospital. I was a little self conscious at the beginning of clinicals, thinking that everyone would feel that they had to watch what they said around 'the student'...eaves dropping on their 'inside world' so to speak, but didn't find that they watched what they said at all!

In fact, I don't remember a time when I asked a nurse, RT, x-ray tech, even surgeons, about a treatment that I didn't either get ignored, or gifted with a thorough explanation. Often prefaced by “I know you learned it X way, but this is why it's 'really' done this way.” (Though I've seen a lot of the real world, I'm under no delusions that school has taught me all I need to know about 'this' world)

I once even asked a doctor about his decision to withhold pain meds from a beautiful young woman who's suffering was pulling on my heart strings (One of many, many like questions I've asked of Dr.s). He had previously given me a script for “Close The door” to give to the nurse when I was sent to ask him about it.

I said “Say Doc, can I ask you about the girl in room X?”

He said “sure”

I said, “From the outside looking in, she appears to be in a lot of pain, sweaty, elevated pulse rate/respiration, real tears, why the choice not to relieve it?”

He said “How far along are you in your clinicals?”

I told him “Just a few weeks. I haven't been here long.”

He smiled and said “You're going to see that girl nearly every time you're here. Trust me.”

I did, and I did.

But the point is, he didn't seem to have any sense that I was challenging his judgment. He didn't seem to feel any need to 'put me in my place.'

I talked to my instructor about it and she said, “ You tend to be blunt. Instead of saying “Why did you do/not do this?” Maybe say “If this happened (the thing that just happened in front of my face) what would be the best thing to do?”” I said, “ But that makes the question cloudy, requiring me to define all of the parameters of a new question. It just happened, why not simply address my question to the situation we are both familiar with?” She said “Well, do what you want, but you won't be well received that way.” And she was right.

Hopefully it goes without saying that I've always asked my questions later, and in private.

To the medics...though I know none of “you” have (has?) ever done this. What gives? Is it possible this is part of what the basics and intermediates are tripping over? That they are trying to learn (like me) but instead instantly being seen as a "know it all"?

Do nurses constantly tell stories of medic and nursing students 'challenging' them?

(I'm hoping we can answer this question without the "This happens because nurses are so smart and medics are so dumb" that comes with any thread that uses the words 'medic' and 'nurse' within two or three pages of each other.... but I'll bet I'm going to be disappointed.)

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me being a medic have no problem with someone asking questions,but it is all in the manner that they are ask and the time that they are ask

For instance your in the back of your truck working on a cardiac patient that is having a cardiac episode,this is already a tense situation and your dealing with someone that is already under stress and you are in the back of the truck with me and you say in front of the patient why did you do that or why are you doing that,that there alot of times makes your patient uneasy and causes them concern that you do not know what your doing and that has added more stress to there situation.

other than that ask away its the only way to learn and good luck with medic school

I have issues when asking some of my medics questions. There are a select few that make me just feel like i am the dumbest person in the whole world and that they arent even sure how i got dressed this am. But then there are the others that take the time to explain stuff to me and make sure that i understand. And its those that help me make not only me but the rest of our staff better. Its about sharing what you know. I think it also helps to know who you are working with and what they like, I work with a varitey of people cause i only work wkends. But the one Medic that i work with every other wkend and i used to work with everyday, we get into a pattern, i know what to do when he does this, or that. And when I ask hey did you do this its not to question him its just to see what he did while say my back was turned, kinda like when i ask do you want this, not to question him just to see what he would like.

For instance your in the back of your truck working on a cardiac patient that is having a cardiac episode,this is already a tense situation and your dealing with someone that is already under stress and you are in the back of the truck with me and you say in front of the patient why did you do that or why are you doing that

WOW THATS A LONG SENTENCE.

But really, in that instance, why does it matter if they ask in front of the patient? They patient isn't going to know. They are dead!

I find it usually goes okay if you put the disclaimer in front of your question that you've been trying to learn more about blank (working full arrests, studying EKGs, trying to read up on respiratory emergencies, learning my drugs, etc) and was wondering blank (why you gave that med for that patient, what made you call that rhythm __ versus ___, etc). That way you can still refer to the call you just witnessed, but you can put a teaching/learning context around you question.

WOW THATS A LONG SENTENCE.

But really, in that instance, why does it matter if they ask in front of the patient? They patient isn't going to know. They are dead!

At what point did he say dead or cardiac arrest? Reading comprehension dude goes a long way.

As was mentioned, asking questions is all in the delivery. How you ask and when can make all the difference in the world with regards to how I will respond to you.

I don't mind having people ask me questions. I feel it keeps me sharp and my brain active. But if you ask me something at completely the wrong time or with the wrong tone or both, you will not like how I respond to you.

Tact goes a long way not only with me but with others as well. If you don't have it, learn it and fast. Once you've mastered that then come and ask me anything you want.

I suspect that goes for the ways others (RNs, MDs etc...) will respond to you, too.

-be safe

I gladly entertain questions from students, as long as they ask it at the right time.

I tell everyone that if they have questions, ask me after the job is over. I tell them this because I don't want all of us to look dumb in front of the family with someone questioning my judgment. If the student or EMT sees something that needs my attention, I tell them to whistle. It works.

I will gladly teach anyone everything I know; however, show the the know-it-all attitude, my goal turns to making you cry.

I think Australians are a tad more laid back then you Americans. I ask questions all the time! It’s a great way to learn. While only a few times I’ve been told to shut my trap generally paramedics are more than happy and in some cases over happy to answer my questions lol. I’m not all in your face and know when not to ask.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.