Paid Field

emt12resq

Ok for those of you that have read my other posts heres another question and for those of you who havent heres just a question. When I went and actually applied for a paid job everyone said I had a good chance because I was a female. Though I didnt get the job. Is it true that its easier for a female or for a black male to get a paid postion over a white male. And if so why??? But if not the why the heck did so many people beat that into my brain?

I really have no idea why someone would tell you that. I sorry you didn't get the job. The harsh reality is, there is a good chance there were more qualified and better educated people apply. This is not a slam on you. You just haven't had the chance to advance your education as yet. Don't be discouraged. It is a fact of life in which you have just begun. No longer are you in high school. The work force is a very competitive market.

You seem to be a bright individual. Take this as a learning opportunity and move on. Apply at other agencies, but first and foremost, apply to medic school.

Oh, you'll have to do better than that to offend this group :wink: .

It really depends on the service. Some do w/o admitting it hire based on personal preference, best to stay away from those services. You want a service that tests you based on your level. They want to see that you know what you should. They take that plus your interview and as a new person consider your potential. One of the services I work with pay you to third ride out, myself 2 shifts but my reputation preceded me, but most 3rd ride 8-10 shifts if you pass test and interview. Then if the various people you work with give the boss a good report they hire you, if not they thank you for your time with your last check.

Ok for those of you that have read my other posts heres another question and for those of you who havent heres just a question. When I went and actually applied for a paid job everyone said I had a good chance because I was a female. Though I didnt get the job. Is it true that its easier for a female or for a black male to get a paid postion over a white male. And if so why??? But if not the why the heck did so many people beat that into my brain?

I'm a white male, never had an issue getting a job in EMS......................

Perhaps your age was a factor. Many companies can not insure individuals under 21 to drive the ambulance. If the service is ALS and you are a EMT-B, you have to be able to drive as it would probably encompass the majority of your job duties. If it was BLS, then there is probably several applicants for each open position posted. There could very well be someone more qualified.

Whoever told you that your gender would "assist" in getting a job is a moron or a pervert (or both). Hopefully you didn't for a minute think that as factual....................

Jake I def. agree with you. Thats why in the spring of 08 Im going to a community college to get the rest of my certifications. haha I feel like I say this In every post I make but anyway... Im really commited to becoming a paramedic. I know its what I want to do and everyone in my town knows that. I dont know if they said that to me to make me feel better or what but I do know when they did tell me i took offense to it. I dont want it to be like that even if it was. I dont want and unfair advantage. I want a job based on my ability and if someone else if more qualified than me then they should get job right???

Um flight, Your reply confused me because the question was about females and black males having and unfair advantage. ANd yea you gave me that part at the end. I mean I knew the reason I didnt get that job. Yea I was inexperienced but I did it for a learning experience for the future. Im 18 and a career right now would be nice but I really dont mind. I still have a lot a head of me. And Im a volunteer with EVOC or whatever I know whats expected when I enter the Paid world. Believe me Ive done A LOT of research to make sure its exactly what I want to do. I mean thank you for contributing and opinion I guess I just didnt understand why I was sort of getting lectured on the many reasons i didnt get that job.

Kudos to you for having the guts to ask a difficult, racially charged question!

There is certainly nothing wrong with the question, and most here would not be offended.

I've only applied once for an EMS job, and I know for several reasons I tested in the top 5% when applying, yet they hired the least intelligent, most socially inept two people in my class. Was it because I'm old(ish). Don't know...And after seeing who they hired, I'm not really interested in finding out.

The important thing to remember is that though I felt much more qualified, it doesn't really matter what I think. It's their job, they created it, they can hire based on whatever criteria makes them money.

I've heard a million stories from a friend of a friend who knows first hand someone's brother that has a Masters degree but got cheated out of the job at the Post Office by a black man with one tooth fresh out of prison after his assasination attempt on the president...but have never seen it. So for me it's simply a rumor. And I choose not to live my life pretending that rumors are facts. My guess is you were getting poor advice from people that choose to nurture excuses instead of successes.

Follow the advice given by the many wise posters here...don't worry if it's true or not. Stay in school and put yourself in a position where they need to come after you instead of you after them.

Good luck to you! I like your attitude!

Dwayne

don't worry,

you are not to young or anything

My first EMS interview I did not get the job....then the guy who interviewed me saw me working with a volunteer fire dept an the scene of an MCI....

after the incident was over he recognized me and pretty much told me I had a job, all I had to do was re-apply

I was also 18 years old at the time and fresh out of fire standards and EMT standards.

Put applications everywhere and eventually someone will see something in you and say to themselves

"I think they would make a damn good EMT" and you will get the job

also if you can volunteer with a fire dept that runs medical calls, do it because the EMS crews will get to know you and if you do well you will earn a reputation that will get you a job

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.