EMT "Boot Camps" Your Thoughts Please

brianjemtbff

So I hear so much about these so called EMT "Boot Camps" that claim to give you all the training you need to be an EMT in just a few weeks to a month and guarantee you will pass. I know my training was just over 6 months at a local community college. I just want to get some thoughts from those experienced EMTs and Medics out there. Are these "Boot Camps" worth what they say? Can one really gain the knowledge they need to go out and save lives in about a month?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it depends on the school. Comparing my two quarter community college EMT course versus the 3 week (full-time) UCLA course, I'd prefer the 3 week course (judging from the ride-alongs we have from there). Really depends on the schools you're comparing, though.

There are too many variables.

What is your learning style? What is the teaching style? Do you have the time to devote to the course. EMT-B is not hard by any means, 3 weeks at 8 hours a day is 120 hours. That is, or is close to the requirement; I can't remember if it is 120 or 150 hours.

Most EMT courses are spead out over 6 months, because they are designed for the working person. 2 nights a week for 6 months. If you are young dumb and still living at home, or have a good savings built up, you should take the 3 week course. I would time it so your cert comes in the mail about the time your paramedic course starts.

That is where I screwed up. I should have gone on with my medic, instead I got a full time job, and no way to live for a year with little to no income and commute 60 miles a day for 6 months :D

What do you think...

I think it gives you about the same knowledge to "go out and save lives" as a 6 month course. EMT-Basic level doesn't do that much.... The original poster will hear it again and again on this site. EMT is basically an advanced first aid course and surface introduction to some diseases/disorders you'll encounter in the field.

Well, we see how well it works for the fire monkeys :D ... The problem is the mind can only absorb so much in a certain amount of time. If you have had previous medical training or science background... then maybe yes, if not think of learning the basics of a whole new profession in a few weeks. The Basic Curriculum already sucks as it is going over 16 weeks, I can't imagine it be better in an abbreviated short time period.

R/r 911

I think it gives you about the same knowledge to "go out and save lives" as a 6 month course. EMT-Basic level doesn't do that much....

:lol: Excellent points.

VS is, of course, correct. This is a no brainer, and a question I am surprised anybody has to ask.

But Anthony is also correct, in that it really doesn't matter how long your EMT course was dragged out, you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to be saving a bunch of lives. CPR is about the only thing you learn that will contribute to that process, and I can teach you that in a day.

Basically, EMT-B is so useless that I really don't care how you learn it or how long it takes, so long as you retain it and immediately continue your education to professional levels.

So I hear so much about these so called EMT "Boot Camps" that claim to give you all the training you need to be an EMT in just a few weeks to a month and guarantee you will pass. I know my training was just over 6 months at a local community college. I just want to get some thoughts from those experienced EMTs and Medics out there. Are these "Boot Camps" worth what they say? Can one really gain the knowledge they need to go out and save lives in about a month?

No. Easy enough answer.

Opening up these EMT Puppy Mills is only going to bring our profession down.

Opening up these EMT Puppy Mills is only going to bring our profession down.

EMT-B holds our profession down, no matter how quickly or slowly the course is run.

Three weeks or three months, it doesn't matter. It's still a joke.